lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1983 Junker to Farm/Hunting Machine

You can add used batteries to a used battery pack with no compatibility problems.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #12
SARWildJr85
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

this free buggy is getting expensive
SARWildJr85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:54 AM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If it runs now and has relatively new batteries, you can plan out a strategy to do it over a number of years, or bite the bullet and do performance upgrades now.

First you have to figure out how much you can afford, and what you need it to do. Since your title includes "hunting machine", I assume you're planning on driving off-road, and maybe even carrying a buddy, and perhaps dragging a carcass (hopefully deer and not your buddy) home?

There's some pretty good information and excellent customer service at:
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html

You can do all of the necessary repairs now, such as cleaning up all rust, especially in the battery tray area. I used truck bed liner to coat mine. I tried undercoating, but it wore under the slight movement of the batteries. Even if you tie the batteries down tightly, they are plastic/water/lead and get warm while charging, so may expand and contract at a different rate than your metal battery tray.

I have a 1998, so I had to rehab my steering, and I replaced all bearings in my rear end and axles. If you're going with really big tires, don't spend any more money on brakes than you have to, as you'll be upgrading to disk brakes. I added 2 extra batteries and have a rear seat, so I upgraded to HD leaf springs.

If you're gonna upgrade to 48 volt, decide whether you want 8 - 6 volt batteries or 6 - 8 volt ones. The former will serve you better if you drive a lot, especially off-road, where you may need a lot of amps. If you go that route, figure out now where you'll put the extra 2 batteries.

If you're on a budget, you can upgrade your controller, FNR, and cables now and stick with 36 volts until it's time for new batteries. However, you probably shouldn't go for huge diameter tires just yet. Even with stock tires and stock controller, I managed to fry two stock solenoids, so if you go this route, you'll have to decide whether to upgrade your solenoid now, then sell it and get another when you go to 48 volts.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #14
SARWildJr85
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Yurtle. I haven't had a chance to do much pricing, yet. But, I figure I'll probably do like you suggest, and upgrade cables, fnr, and such, now. And, maybe, do all other power upgrades after my batteries are toast. I already had a pretty substantial wishlist for this thing without power upgrades. My wife already hates this forum, by the way.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Just an FYI here.
Everybody wants big tires and axle twisting torque.
When faced with budget restraints they opt for the tires, wheel, seats, lights, stereo, winches, rear seat kits, just anything but the performance upgrade!?

This is totally backwards in my experience. You must have the capability to run bigger tires and carry extra loads before you head out to the woods or you will be pushing the cart home.

The Ezgo and Club Car engineers designed this cart for 2 people to play golf while driving the cart on a groomed pathway. They did not include a speed control capable of a 30% larger tire carrying 4 adults and deer over downed trees across hill and dale.

For the best results upgrade the drive system one end to the other, in most cases you can keep the motor and the key switch
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #16
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Roger that.

I swapped out the key switch right away.

I needed an accessory position, so I upgraded to a uniquely keyed three position.

When I first bought the cart, the batteries were close to seven years old, so I did required maintenance, lights, and stereo, then enjoyed it. I did kill two stock solenoids before upgrading to a 36 volt HD.

After the batteries died (I got nine years to the month out of them), I got crazy and added 8 T-105's, 4855, 2 AWG, HD solenoid, FNR cam, HS motor, HD leaf springs, 48 to 12 volt inverter, ammeter, speedo, siren...

It still looks like a granny mobile with stock tires (if you ignore the blue wig-wags and siren), but performs quite well. I enjoy blowing away jacked up big tired expensive looking buggies.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #17
SARWildJr85
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't disagree with you at all ScottyB. The thing is, right now, numbers 1&2 on my list of priorities for this buggy are a dump bed and some grip. So, I was thinking I would lift it, but not put big tires on it, for now. That should alleviate SOME of the need for more power. And then, I could start out, now, with just what I said in my last post. Right? Correct me if I'm wrong. Please
Old 06-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

What kind of loads will you be carrying (weight) and on what kind of terrain? Mud, wet grass, sand, steep hills?

How far will each trip be before you can recharge?

How old are your batteries?
Old 06-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #19
SARWildJr85
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Load including passengers= 300-600lbs

Terrain=gravel, chicken litter, & mud. Not many hills.

Trip length= would like for it to be able to run around the farm all day. so, I guess as far as possible

Battery age= idk. They don't look new.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #20
SARWildJr85
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, so far, I have used the crap out of this thing, but haven't done anything to it other than weld a hitch tube under the back so that I could pull a little lawn mower trailer from sears. A couple days ago I had it in the chicken houses and loaded that little trailer down too much. I wound up burning through a couple wires. Therefore, I will inevitably have to have extreme makeover buggy edition. Since I don't have a clue about these things, I emailed scottyb, and ask him to set me up. We'll see what all he comes up with.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO