lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #11
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 93 TXT 36V dropping power

A feeble attempt at humor. MKZ is the name of a current Lincoln mid sized sedan.

Medalist has a metal body but otherwise looks very similar to the TXT which has a plastic body. If further trouble shooting is required beyond the batteries, be prepared to describe the drive system. EG: is the forward/reverse shifter a lever by your knee which would indicate a series cart. (probably is).
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #12
mkz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Gotcha! LOL I didn't put the two together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
A feeble attempt at humor. MKZ is the name of a current Lincoln mid sized sedan.

Medalist has a metal body but otherwise looks very similar to the TXT which has a plastic body. If further trouble shooting is required beyond the batteries, be prepared to describe the drive system. EG: is the forward/reverse shifter a lever by your knee which would indicate a series cart. (probably is).
mkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #13
mkz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I just re-read the description above after seeing you say the Marathon is metal. It is a TXT, I don't know how I mis-read the battery config you put but I did.

On a side note, battery charger is now not working. I'm gonna check the fuse, and will let yall know if that's not it. Batteries are not charged up, so once I get it working again, I'll charge and then let them sit the 12 hours before testing.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If your batteries are drained too far, your buggy charger won't see them. What is the total pack voltage now?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If it is truly a 93, it can be either a Marathon or a Medalist, but not a TXT since the TXT didn't come out until 96.

http://www.shopezgo.com/www404.aspx?...ialNumber.html
The above website has pictures of the various body styles and the years they were produced.
Also, if you enter the cart's Serial Number, it will tell you what it was when it left the factory.

Of course, a different body may have been fitted on an older frame.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:56 PM   #16
mkz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It shows 37 volts. when I plugged it in, it made a pop sound. I looked in it and there is no fuse. how do I test it to see if it is good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
If your batteries are drained too far, your buggy charger won't see them. What is the total pack voltage now?
Old 05-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkz View Post
It shows 37 volts. when I plugged it in, it made a pop sound. I looked in it and there is no fuse. how do I test it to see if it is good?
In very broad and general terms, the battery pack voltage should start increasing from 37V when the charger is working.

Have to know what charger you are using the be much more specific.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #18
mkz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry, been out with medical issues. The charger is an EZGO Powerwise model 28115-G04.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:11 PM   #19
mkz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Welcome to BGW!

What is the battery pack voltage when measured 12 hours after the charger shuts off automatically.
Should be 38.2 for the pack and 6.37V for each battery.

What is the battery pack voltage when cart is misbehaving?

What is the voltage between the controller's B- and B+ terminals when cart misbehaves?

What is the voltage between the controller's M- and B+ terminal when the cart misbehaves?

I have had a lot of things go on where I am just now getting back to this. I hope I can still get help on it. I looked up the serial number and it shows this is a 2003 TXT standard PDS. Battery charger is working again, full charge, I put a load tester on each of the six batteries and they all hold under load.

The battery pack voltage is 38.7 volts.
All 6 of the batteries individually measure between 6.42 and 6.47 volts.

I looked for the controller you spoke of, I guess from my earlier post where I thought it was an older model was why you said it would be in the wheel well. I found it under the seat on the passenger side in a black box with a switch on the cover that lets you tow it. I'm sure you know what I am talking about. The terminals I found were B-, B+, and A1.

Voltage across the pack stayed around 38.3 when the problem occurs.

Voltage between B- and B+ starts around 38.3 and at the lowest I saw was 37.6 when the problem occurs.

Voltage between B+ and A1 (which I followed and goes over to the motor starts at 38.3 and within 5 seconds begins dropping into the 20's then drops off the radar.

This is what I am seeing as the cart dies shortly after taking off. Inside that box is a controller along with what looks like an old external Ford starter solenoid mounted in front of it. The controller is a Curtis PMC and shows two different numbers on it. GC4081 and 73326G05.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:39 AM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Now we know what type drive system you have (PDS) and can start troubleshooting.

Voltage from the battery pack to the controller (B- to B+ terminals) looks about right, but voltage from the controller to the motor (A1 to B+ terminals) is not right, if the decrease to 20V and below occurs while the pedal is still on the floor. (Unless cart is moving at its max speed for whatever performance mode it is in, but you say is is going slow, so it probably isn't.)

Sounds like the controller has lost its input from the speed sensor on the back end of the motor.

Put the controller in diagnostic mode and listen for an error code from the beeper when the cart misbehaves while driving it.

The text at the bottom of the attached label tells you how to put the controller into diagnostic mode and lists the error codes. The first set of beeps tells you what performance mode it is in.

I've also attached some other things you may find useful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Label on Controller Cover.JPG (142.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PDS J2 mode plugs.jpg (130.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PDS Mode speed-regen level.JPG (18.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS.JPG (129.4 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO