lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #21
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ GO Marathon Resistor Coil

I couldn't find a wiring diagram, but I'd connect a DMM to either pack - or pack + and press the gas and follow the voltage through the high amperage cables and see where you lose voltage. You only have a pack, wiper board, FNR, resistors, solenoid, and motor.

Have you tried pushing it a few feet and trying again? When it runs, does it keep running or just start and stop?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #22
tliebks
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I couldn't find a wiring diagram, but I'd connect a DMM to either pack - or pack + and press the gas and follow the voltage through the high amperage cables and see where you lose voltage. You only have a pack, wiper board, FNR, resistors, solenoid, and motor.

Have you tried pushing it a few feet and trying again? When it runs, does it keep running or just start and stop?
It won't even run now at all. I've somewhat done that but got confused on some of the wiring. I might give it another go tomorrow.
tliebks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:56 AM   #23
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

A little more background might be helpful. Did it ever run when you had it? If so, what happened when it quit running and what changes did you make?

In troubleshooting, since your solenoid is functioning properly, you can rule out ALL small wires. Your problem is in the high current cables, switches (solenoid, wiper board, FNR), resistor coils, or the motor itself. The main things that could go wrong with the motor are the brushes could be worn, and/or commutator could be dirty. You can do an Advanced Search for ways to test the motor on jack-stands.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:06 AM   #24
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

For testing the motor, you have two independent circuits, the field windings and the armature windings. I don't know how they're labeled on your cart, but I'm gonna call the field windings F1 and F2 and the armature windings A1 and A2. Disconnect cables and check continuity between A1 and A2, then F1 and F2. You will read some resistance, but should read continuity. Then check between an A and an F. You would ideally read infinity, but will likely be lower, as the brushes throw off a conductive dust as they wear.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #25
coosa
Gone Wild

What year model is your cart? I ran 1984 resistor cart for 16 years and replaced just about everything on it at one time or another. Most of what I know is thru trial and error, so the other guys responding to you can give you better ideas on how to test it. I will say that it sounds like to me that since you have ruled out other parts, it is likely one of 2 things - either the F/R switch or the motor.

I replaced my F/R switch a couple of times and repaired it several more times. Everything has to be just right in that thing for it to work. There were a couple of times I was 100% sure that I was getting good contact everywhere in it, but somehow I wasn't. A new switch got the cart back to running both times.

I was just about to go to my shed and make pics of 2 motors I used in my cart and list them in the classifieds here. Been meaning to do it for weeks, but just haven't gotten around to it. Let me know if you want one of them; I plan to sell them cheap just so that somebody can use them.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #26
tliebks
Not Yet Wild

The Golf Cart is running now. I found a different wiring diagram last night on the internet and took one look at it and found my problem. This diagram gave me a very good understanding of how the golf cart was wired. I went out to the shed this morning and sure enough 36 volts was not going through the solenoid with the gas pedal pushed. I feel like a moron but the solenoid I ordered the other day arrived this morning. I put it on and all is well. I would like to thank everybody for their help. Our little town has an ordinance to use golf carts as transportation so I've felt helpless without it. LOL
tliebks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #27
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Glad you got it figured out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO