lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: How Well Do The Steering Wheel Locks Work?

I get you. I've got the tools for grinding a notch, no problem. However, this would still be susceptible to a bolt cutter. My bar stock idea requires welding, which I ain't good at. I can stick stuff together, but it ain't pretty.

As to bike locks, some folks spend more money on bikes than we do on our buggies. I've seen some pretty substantial ones. Not a WallyWorld one.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #12
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I get you. I've got the tools for grinding a notch, no problem. However, this would still be susceptible to a bolt cutter. My bar stock idea requires welding, which I ain't good at. I can stick stuff together, but it ain't pretty.
I just checked the Harbor Freight website and you can get a 36" bolt cutter for $23 and will cut 5/8" so within the budget of potential theives. Wouldn't this make mince meat out of all of the steering wheel guards?

I guess I need to figure out how to guard the coupler from being able to get the bolt cutter head near the pins. Perhaps using a heavy angle iron? I was planning on shortening the lock stem and welding it to the flat stock. That way you can't get a bolt cutter on it. How about using a pipe for the lock arm with a smaller steel rod inside but free to turn. I think that is how they made jail bars so they couldn't be cut through. The inside rod would spin when the saw hit it.

My welding skills are similar to yours. I do have new auto-darkening helmet I am itching to try out.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
I just checked the Harbor Freight website and you can get a 36" bolt cutter for $23 and will cut 5/8" so within the budget of potential theives. Wouldn't this make mince meat out of all of the steering wheel guards?
Not if you used bar stock with short round stock to fit the holes. I'm thinking two flat 1/4" x 1" stock pieces, that lock together.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #14
stang99x
Gone Wild

Well you can buy small battery powered saws with metal blades if you want to think that way, however most of the time even minor deterrent's will send thieves looking for the next possibility as time is of the essence for them.
stang99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #15
vagabond
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I remember seeing a demo on steering wheel locks, it took about a minute with a hacksaw to cut through the wheel and slide the lock off.
If a thief wants it they'll get it
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:47 PM   #16
stang99x
Gone Wild

Or you could do it like Nic Cage did in Gone in 60 Seconds. Steering wheel locks, I believe it was "The Club" back in the day, seem like a great idea at the time....then people realized what little protection they actually afforded and they fell out of favor.

But you're right, cut through the wheel and pop the the lock off.
stang99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:44 AM   #17
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Ok, steering wheel locks seem easily defeated. I still like the idea of securing the steering arm to the frame.

Just had another thought. With the parking brake set is there anyway to secure the brake pedal with the parking brake set?
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO