lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
zirkusaffe
Not Yet Wild

Default dead spot on starter 2002 EZ-Go easy fix? or replace starter?

I got a random dead spot all of a sudden on my starter.
I was looking at those replacement brushes on the bay but I haven't taken one of these starters out or done much of anything with my cart.
Am I better off replacing the brushes or just go for the $100ish starter you can get on the bay? Is there a reasonable amount of success with replacement?

Side question, with a suspected 'bad' brush how does that effect the performance of the cart? I would assume it's not as effective recharging the battery but does it effect the coils/plug spark as well?

Short term use any damage to the engine?

Thanks

Z.
zirkusaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: dead spot on starter 2002 EZ-Go easy fix? or replace starter?

Starter should not affect how the cart runs once started and usually while it is spinning it will work as normal. You could have brushes going bad or a bad spot on the armature. Next time it won't start push in on all 4 rubber covers and try again. If it then starts probably a bad brush(es). Depending on which starter you have new brushes and bearings could be from $50 up to $150 to rebuild it. If you just do the brushes, about $25 for the Hitachi and $75 for the AMD.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Pull the rubber caps off and inspect brushes if they are worn down I'd replace brushes oem starter is way better than the aftermarket ones aftermarket ones are a pay now or pay later deal
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:08 PM   #4
zirkusaffe
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Starter should not affect how the cart runs once started and usually while it is spinning it will work as normal. You could have brushes going bad or a bad spot on the armature. Next time it won't start push in on all 4 rubber covers and try again. If it then starts probably a bad brush(es). Depending on which starter you have new brushes and bearings could be from $50 up to $150 to rebuild it. If you just do the brushes, about $25 for the Hitachi and $75 for the AMD.
Thanks for the help I'll push in on the rubber covers, it was working fine but now randomly (especially cold) it seems to end up on that 'dead spot' randomly until I spin it manually off. I will let you know.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
zirkusaffe
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
Pull the rubber caps off and inspect brushes if they are worn down I'd replace brushes oem starter is way better than the aftermarket ones aftermarket ones are a pay now or pay later deal
Thanks for the heads up on the OEM rebuild vs aftermarket, I know that temptation but for sure OEM is clad strong. Only reason I'm having trouble is my cart was in a tiny flood last year the old starter worked but didn't work well so I got a second-hand rebuild although it's OEM I still don't have a history with it, since I've hand only a month already with the dead spot and new to all things EZ-GO I'm a little cautious on going down unforeseen paths never travelled. I appreciate the help!

I'll check the brushes and start there. Thanks again!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO