lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2018, 10:56 AM   #11
Steve Patrick
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 91 ParCar only runs in reverse

Oh.....also, I'm not sure what your reference to the "kit" meant. The Pertonics module comes mounted to a plate much like the one that holds the factory module. You just have to swap those plates and do a couple minor alterations to the factory plate. The rotor is original ParCar unit.

You can google the part number I provided and see the Pertonics if you have not already done that. Let me know if you need more info.
Steve Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2020, 02:19 PM   #12
tie-one-on
Not Yet Wild

Steve are you still on this site? Is the ignition module still working?
Thanks
tie-one-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:43 AM   #13
Steve Patrick
Not Yet Wild

Update on Pertonics module. Still working great. No issues yet.
Steve Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:32 AM   #14
Wandyd
Not Yet Wild

Do you have pics of the Pertonics 025-003 installed on cart?
Wandyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:16 PM   #15
Wandyd
Not Yet Wild

Could you post a picture of the new Pertronix IGNITION module?
Wandyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:11 PM   #16
jlh58
Not Yet Wild

I have a 93 par car, and recently tried to install the PerTronix 025-003A. My cart runs great except it will die occasionally when hot. I was able to mount the PerTronix unit to the stock plate, with only having to remove the unit from its mounting plate and then widening the mounting holes. However, it didn’t work when installed. Strangely I had no spark in forward, but did in reverse. Adjusting timing made no difference in forward. I’m far from an expert, so perhaps did something wrong or possibly the part is wrong for my particular engine. I thought I’d post a picture of the installed PerTronix unit (black) and the stock unit (white) for the benefit of others. Also, it would be great if Steve could confirm/deny whether this is what his looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01CC1DEB-3463-4EDC-A543-9608FCE9486B.jpg (19.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 5BA5AF7A-E3A0-44E6-8171-76D74814F6A2.jpg (19.7 KB, 0 views)
jlh58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:38 PM   #17
Kane4067
Not Yet Wild

Jh,

Im in the same boat as you having the same exact issue and mine looks exactly like yours, hope we can get this figured out.
Kane4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:16 AM   #18
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh58 View Post
I have a 93 par car, and recently tried to install the PerTronix 025-003A. My cart runs great except it will die occasionally when hot. I was able to mount the PerTronix unit to the stock plate, with only having to remove the unit from its mounting plate and then widening the mounting holes. However, it didn’t work when installed. Strangely I had no spark in forward, but did in reverse. Adjusting timing made no difference in forward. I’m far from an expert, so perhaps did something wrong or possibly the part is wrong for my particular engine. I thought I’d post a picture of the installed PerTronix unit (black) and the stock unit (white) for the benefit of others. Also, it would be great if Steve could confirm/deny whether this is what his looks like.
I don't have any experience with that module whatsoever but let's try to logic our way through this. First thing first:

If your cart is stopping running when hot then you have to check and see if it's the modules fault or not. When the cart stops from being hot, quickly (before the cart cools off) check to see if you have spark when the cart isn't working. If you have spark then the issue is somewhere else. Coils are known fail when they overheat. Also, check the condition of your fan to make sure that all fins and such are in good shape.

Now onto the module. To rule out anything else with the cart, switch the forward and reverse leads at the ignition switch. Now, if your cart works in forward but not reverse then your issue is probably something other than the module.

Looking at your pics, it's pretty clear that the factory module is mounted quite a bit closer to the rotor then the Pertronix one. Could you get the latter a bit closer to the rotor or is that not possible?
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:20 PM   #19
jlh58
Not Yet Wild

Lochlin, thanks for the response. As for testing it when it dies, yes I completely agree that I need to do check for spark when it dies in order to really diagnose my root issue (dying when hot). Up to now it has only happened without tools on hand. And then Saturday I drove it repeatedly and it wouldn't die (ambient temp was lower, so maybe that's why). Before I installed the new ignition module, I put on new plugs and a new coil (with appropriate resistance) hoping that would fix the problem.

Also, good idea on switching forward and reverse, and I will try that this coming weekend. I will say that after installed the PerTronix, I put the old ignition module back on and its running well again in both directions.

As for the PerTronix mounting location, I don't think I can easily move it closer as I'm essentially using the "studs" from the OE mounting plate and there is not that much more material that I could remove from the PerTronix plate. I could maybe move it one MM or so closer.

However, I think your instinct that it's in the wrong spot may be correct. I went back and re-read the OP's posts, and realized he was essentially having the same issue I am having with the PerTronix (i.e. only spark in reverse). He says that he ended up moving the PerTronix unit from about 2 O'Clock to 8 O'Clock, and also mentions elongating the mounting holes to allow for more timing adjustment. My Picture is a bit confusing because it is rotated, but right now my stock module and the PerTronix were each at about the 3 O'Clock position. I don't have my cart nearby, but will this coming weekend. I want to try to move it to more the 8' O'Clock position, though not sure how much modification that may take.

Kane4067, have you tried moving your PerTronix module dramatically like the OP did?
jlh58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:07 PM   #20
Kane4067
Not Yet Wild

Jlh,

I was at work today and i brought this issue up to one of our electricians and i showed him the 2 pics you posted because mine is exact to what yours is. He told me that the air gap between that rotor and module should be closer to what the stock module is. He told me that the aor gap should be closer to 20 thousands of an inch for it to make spark. So im going to pull it back out, get rid of the stock mounting bolts on the plate and work that module closer to the rotor. In my case i am not getting any spark at all, i get one at the first key turn and one when i turn it off nothing in between.
Kane4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar