lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2022, 08:54 PM   #1
cclocke
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Easiest lithium conversion for 1997 48v DS?

Hi guys,

I was just given a free 1997 club car DS from a friend's neighbor. I quickly discovered that the batteries are from December 2012. My first ride on a full charge only went a couple miles before the battery warning light went on, so I think my first upgrade to the cart should probably be some new batteries.

I'm strongly considering lithium because I think the benefits are greater than the price differential, but I'm a little scared of the project that I might be dealing with. Does anyone have a recommendation for the easiest lithium batteries for my cart to install, and also the best step by step instructions for the project?

Thanks!
cclocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-04-2022, 09:10 PM   #2
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Easiest lithium conversion for 1997 48v DS?

Seems that we have a Site Sponsor that provides lithium and guys have been happy with them; might want to start there and give them a call!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:19 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

There are several drop in solutions. One factor is capacity vs $$. Get the larger capacity if you can afford it. I would recommend at least 100 AH capacity at 48V. Some are only 60 AH which limits your range.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:08 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
There are several drop in solutions. One factor is capacity vs $$. Get the larger capacity if you can afford it. I would recommend at least 100 AH capacity at 48V. Some are only 60 AH which limits your range.
I’ve got the allied 60aH 48v setup and zero complaints about range. I average 25-30 miles on a charge, running ~25mph most of it. I get closer to 30 miles if it’s just me and my son, down to about 25 miles if I’ve got 4 or 5 kids on the cart with us. I get about 8-10 miles driving around now doing donuts and pulling kids through 4-6” of snow on sleds. Which is considerably more than I got with my 4x12v setup before I switched. I went with this option just because they drop in and bolt in just like the old batteries so install was very easy.

If you plan to upgrade the motor, controller, and add a bunch of performance stuff then more aH may be better. Upgraded motor/controller combo will draw a lot more juice and kill the batteries quicker.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:35 AM   #5
cclocke
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I’ve got the allied 60aH 48v setup and zero complaints about range. I average 25-30 miles on a charge, running ~25mph most of it. I get closer to 30 miles if it’s just me and my son, down to about 25 miles if I’ve got 4 or 5 kids on the cart with us. I get about 8-10 miles driving around now doing donuts and pulling kids through 4-6” of snow on sleds. Which is considerably more than I got with my 4x12v setup before I switched. I went with this option just because they drop in and bolt in just like the old batteries so install was very easy.

If you plan to upgrade the motor, controller, and add a bunch of performance stuff then more aH may be better. Upgraded motor/controller combo will draw a lot more juice and kill the batteries quicker.
Thank you. I looked at the OBC sticky and a couple videos, and maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't look that bad at all. I believe I have a Series cart (RNF under seat), so all I'd need to do is:

1. Remove the black wire running from the charging receptacle to the OBC at the OBC connection and reconnect it to the main battery negative terminal
2. The gray wire running out of the charging receptacle should be cut off and capped.
3. The yellow wire running from the solenoid to the OBC needs to be removed from the OBC and reconnected at the controller B- terminal

I'm going to do some additional research on batteries. I'd like to stay within 2K, so my top options appear to be the Allied and Eco.
cclocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:34 AM   #6
a65l
Not Yet Wild

I have the allied 36v setup in an EZ-Go and it's been trouble free since an initial fault that was cleared up under warranty. I like it so much that I ordered a 48V setup from Allied for our new Carryall. I ordered from Plowman's. They have Allied in stock, prices are reasonable, and shipping is quick. Plus he's a hell of a nice guy to talk to.
a65l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:45 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by a65l View Post
I have the allied 36v setup in an EZ-Go and it's been trouble free since an initial fault that was cleared up under warranty. I like it so much that I ordered a 48V setup from Allied for our new Carryall. I ordered from Plowman's. They have Allied in stock, prices are reasonable, and shipping is quick. Plus he's a hell of a nice guy to talk to.
I got mine from plowmans as well. He’s got the best prices on the web. Bonus he happens to be local

Benefit to the allied is if you go too small you can add another battery or two up to 2 years later according to allieds website. I’ve been very happy with the 60aH kit but I never go more than about 10-15 miles in a day. I have considered getting one more battery to bump it up to 90aH, only because I’m considering an AC Conversion. But if I left my cart as-is (stock with a speed magnet) the 60aH is more than I’d ever use.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 03:44 PM   #8
sdwav6
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

How did this Allied Lithium battery hook up work out on your '97 Club Car DS?
sdwav6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car