lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2022, 02:47 PM   #1
coug86
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Navitas Tac 2 install battery issues

Newby here. Apologize for the long note. Navitas issue. I have recently acquired a 2016 Yamaha 48 Volt AC cart new batteries. Drove it to my course a half a dozen times (1.5 miles each way plus 18 holes) and decided I needed to upgrade the Stock Controller. Went with a Navitas Tac 2 600 amp. The first time I drove to the course, controller put the cart into limp/battery saver mode on the drive home. I did run it pretty wide open (averaged 25-30 mph), and figured that the new Controller's battery usage was probably higher than the stock controller. Next time I drove to the course, I adjusted the OTF settings down to limit speed to 20 and upgraded the Firmware. Same thing happened, on the drive home, cart went into limp/battery saver mode.

I have been attempting to diagnose. Here is the weird thing. When the battery's are done charging, and the cart is not driven at all, the Navitas app shows the state of charge and batttery voltage decreasing pretty rapidly. After a couple of hours the app shows 82% State of Charge and 49.3 battery voltage. When I put a meter on the batteries, they show a constant 50.4 across the pack, 8.4 individually. (Batteries not quite worked in yet). The Navitas App continues to show the the SOC and Voltage slowly decreasing.
Anybody experienced this?
coug86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2022, 04:41 AM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Navitas Tac 2 install battery issues

My first experience running 30mph for a while will significantly drain your batteries faster. The self discharge is another question, around 1% per day would be normal... What brand/type batteries you're talking about?
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:30 PM   #3
coug86
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks OJO. They are US Battery US 8VGC XC2. Less than a dozen full charges on them.

So weird though, not sure why the reading in the Navitas App is completely different from when I put my Multimeter on them.

Here are some of my theories on why this is happening:

1. Batteries were not new like the shop said who I purchased from and are not holding charge properly. (I have checked and double checked water levels, all good), remember there are fewer than a dozen charges on them since I acquired the cart.

2. Delta QuiQ charger*(913-4800-09) does not have the right profile (currently 93 and Battery manufacture suggests 71, have been so far unsuccessful changing profile, does anybody have any suggestions for this? I have emailed the manufacture), thus the batteries are not completely charging properly.

3. Navitas controller (Tac2 600A) îs not hooked up right, even though a buddy and I have looked twice and checked against install instructions. (We believe it is right) because the controller is reporting lower voltage, it automatically puts the cart into limp mode prematurely when the pack actually still has sufficient charge?)

4. Something is acting as a parasitic draw somewhere (although why would multimeter stay 50.2 pretty consistently 12 hours after charge. (were 50.4 yesterday)

Navitas App Readings immediately after charge (Pic 1)
Navitas App Readings 12 hours after charge (Pic 2) Cart not driven at all
Navitas App Readings 24 hours after charge (Pic 3) and continues to drop with cart not driven at all
Multimeter has remained consistent around 50.2 to 50.4. Individual batteries 8.3-8.4 (Pic 4)

Anybody have any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9192.jpg (71.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9182.jpg (74.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9191.jpg (73.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9184.jpg (71.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-20-2022, 04:15 PM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

For 8v US batteries i've found algorithm 71 also and that's important. Follow the Delta Q instructions... If batteries were new, they'll need 25+ charging cycles to brake in, but more important for the capacity. There could be one or more bad cells somewhere in the pack? I'd start with the correct algorithm and then performing some back to back charges. Some ideas

https://support.delta-q.com/hc/en-us...rithm-Manually
Old 02-20-2022, 04:22 PM   #5
coug86
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks OJO. Any hints or tricks to change the Profile on the Delta Q charger? I literally spent a couple hours yesterday trying to use their "click" method. I can get the charger into programming mode when it shows you the current code over and over for 2 minutes, but for the life of me, when I attempt to hold the lead to the terminal for 3 seconds as instructed, I cannot change the profile at all.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:27 PM   #6
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Checked mine recently, it's set to no. 1 profile and quite correct for the 12v Trojans. Not sure, If the programming procedure really works? There is another way by software / PC, probably a dealer could do this? Or try to charge the batteries with a different charger. Couldn't find profile 93 anywhere.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FLA_DATA_1119-1.pdf (6.07 MB, 0 views)
Old 02-21-2022, 08:29 AM   #7
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug86 View Post
I have been attempting to diagnose. Here is the weird thing. When the battery's are done charging, and the cart is not driven at all, the Navitas app shows the state of charge and batttery voltage decreasing pretty rapidly. After a couple of hours the app shows 82% State of Charge and 49.3 battery voltage. When I put a meter on the batteries, they show a constant 50.4 across the pack, 8.4 individually. (Batteries not quite worked in yet). The Navitas App continues to show the the SOC and Voltage slowly decreasing.
Anybody experienced this?
Just checked my Trojans ( 3rd day after last full charge )
Fluke precision Multimeter accross pack: 50.4v
Navitas App battery voltage: 49.6v
~ 89% SOC

As i know, there is always a difference between pack v / controller v
I'd contact Navitas service If it's still drain on controller side.
Old 02-22-2022, 03:17 PM   #8
coug86
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
For 8v US batteries i've found algorithm 71 also and that's important. Follow the Delta Q instructions... If batteries were new, they'll need 25+ charging cycles to brake in, but more important for the capacity. There could be one or more bad cells somewhere in the pack? I'd start with the correct algorithm and then performing some back to back charges. Some ideas

See the Delta Q response back on my charger. For reference my charger is loaded with the 93 profile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32C6C4CD-1F46-4D60-848A-A8BB5768A55C.jpg (68.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-22-2022, 03:32 PM   #9
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So it seems to be ok with the charger...
Old 02-22-2022, 06:52 PM   #10
coug86
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post

Thank you OJO. What do you mean by "back to back charges"?

Tags
navitas battery
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha