lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2022, 04:08 PM   #1
torence20
Not Yet Wild

Default 85 ez go head scratcher

ok guys i have an 85 ezgo with a robin 2pg engine. compression is 105# when the cart came to me it had no fuel pump pulse. a leakdown test told me the crank seal was shot. pulled the engine out of the cart to make it easier. sure enough the flyhweel side seal was blown clean on of place it was resting on the crank and it was also very distorted. i replaced the seal loctite and staked it in place. put the pulser back centered in the slots. and the **** thing wont run in forward at all it backfires and it will run like crap in reverse but it does run. that has to be a timing issue rite? i have little back story on the cart other than it was supposedly rebuilt a couple years ago which i find shocking being the comp is so low. the oil injection is no longer used fuel oil is mixed in tank. i even used a test tank to gravity feed the carb with fresh properly mixed fuel. i checked spark and its good blue spark. i have also read the manual explaining timing but i cant quite wrap my head around it as far a checking the timing with a light. i also do not own a degree wheel. i can get one but i thought i would ask you guys here. i have also spent a crazy amount of time reading threads of same type of problems and have yet to see the solution posted. the coulple threads people did post the solution seemed to be a backwards installed piston which i did also verify that this one is installed correctly. any advice on what to test and check would be appreciated.
torence20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2022, 05:55 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 85 ez go head scratcher

Did you replace both seals?

Centered is correct for the pickup. If it was off, it would run great in one direction.

Something else is going on here.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:59 AM   #3
torence20
Not Yet Wild

No I did not replace both. I have good impulse to the fuel pump so I don’t see how it could be the pto seal. And it does run in reverse not super great but will not run at all in forward. I can take the plug out offer trying to run in forward and it is soaked with fuel.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:59 AM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

That sounds like a ripped lower diaphragm in the fuel pump.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:40 AM   #5
torence20
Not Yet Wild

im actually gravity feeding the carb directy from a test tank. so the fuel pump is not even in the picture currently. its installed but i have the lines capped. there is no fuel flow to or from the pump.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:25 AM   #6
torence20
Not Yet Wild

Just pulled the flywheel back off. Here is a photo of the pulser the top might be just a touch off center but from what I’ve read these are pretty tolerant of that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A38732C6-4012-4AAA-AB0F-3AC9A1C19CC2.jpg (242.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-22-2022, 04:33 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’m no expert on these but I’m pretty sure the pickup goes at the top. You may have it 180 degrees out
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:27 PM   #8
torence20
Not Yet Wild

I’m only seeing 2 mounting locations and 2 slots rite now it is on the top right side facing the jug. The only other way I could mount it would be 180 and that would put it on the bottom facing the carb side.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:46 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

So is the pickup towards the top of the motor or the bottom? Maybe the picture is just upside down
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:03 AM   #10
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Here's a few poor pictures but it shows how mine is, comparing the pics I think it IS in the correct spot. The OP picture and one of mine posted upside down too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170509_155620 (1).jpg (92.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170510_075440.jpg (260.1 KB, 0 views)
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO