lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
chevyrulz
Not Yet Wild

Default 2006 Club Car Precedent 48v IQ voltage meter on/off with key?

just installed a voltage meter on my 48v 2006 Club Car Precedent IQ by running wire from the dash to the battery pack. The voltage meter doesn't have a signal wire, and the key has no voltage so I'm confused how to get the meter to turn on/off with the key??

It's not drawing enough current to really matter i suppose, because overnight it still reads the same 49.1v on the meter, but it bothers me that it stays on, so i would like to be able to turn it off either with the key or the run/tow switch, but not by adding a switch which i could obviously easily do.

When i put the multimeter on the key posts, it reads no voltage but i get a little negative sign by the 0.00v reading when i flip the key on/off which I guess is telling me it's disconnecting the negative to the battery pack? I'm no expert on these carts or electricity for that matter, but i do have basic working knowledge.

none of the unused wires behind the dash give me 48v so i am assuming none of those will help me with this? I can run another wire if needed, but i didn't know if i could like change the negative on the meter from the battery to the controller or key switch to make it do what i want? I didn't want to go plugging stuff randomly & zap my controller or something...just got it rebuilt by FSIP, cart has the stock 250a curtis controller, with the FSIP speed motor, stock solenoid, 6" lift with 20" tires, it will do 33mph on speed mode with the code 5 programmer, 27mph on torque mode, & 16mph on stock mode

unrelated to the post, i just ordered a 2 pole magnet from GoFastGolfCars.com to hopefully fix the motor braking issue, when i dump the throttle above 20mph, it engages the motor brake way too hard, doesn't matter below 20mph, and i don't have a handheld to fix that by changing the motor braking settings, so hoping swapping the 8 pole stock magnet for a 2 pole will trick it into not braking so hard...will update post once i test this theory
chevyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
chevyrulz
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2006 Club Car Precedent 48v IQ voltage meter on/off with key?

hmm
Old 03-12-2019, 10:56 AM   #3
chevyrulz
Not Yet Wild

ok now i can PM people in 29 minutes ;)
Old 03-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #4
Dlab
Gone Wild

I have one that’s been on for almost 2 years now with no issues. Installed an interrupter/tolggle switch at first to turn it off, but realized it wasn’t needed
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Checking voltage on anything on an electric cart, you need to connect your meter negative lead to the battery pack main negative terminal. You will not get proper readings otherwise.

Connect the negative on your dash gauge to the black/yellow wire in the dash harness.
To have the gauge turn on/off with the key splice a wire to the Blue wire on the key switch, and connect that to the gauge positive.

Be sure to put the run/tow switch in TOW before doing electrical work.

Image from ScottyB CartsUnlimited
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

On a Precedent you can use the black/yellow-stripe wire for the meter negative.

The meter positive wire connects to the key switch where the blue wire is connected.

I am not sure how you are measuring, but the key switch definitely has 48v.

I prefer the meter coming ON/OFF with the key switch.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:58 AM   #7
chevyrulz
Not Yet Wild

nice, thanks y'all, will try this tonight & report back

oh & because all threads are better with pics, here's one of the code 5 & some before/after of the cart when i got it & after the 6" Rhox A-Arm "BMF" lift kit, & some 20" off road tires & 10" steel wheels, i snagged the cart for $1700 with rotten front suspension bushings & new batteries, the motor burned up pretty quick probably from struggling to push the ruined front suspension for Lord knows how long, so that is the only reason i swapped out the stock motor for the FSIP speed motor, the Rhox kit was a super easy bolt on, i also ditched the faded/discolored factory incadescent light fixture for an OEM style LED unit to help battery life at night, the code 5 programmer is awesome, takes less than a minute to remap the stock 250a Curtis controller from stock mode to either speed mode or torque mode, i did send off the stock controller to FSIP to have it remanufactured, just in case it caused the motor to burn up, about $170 for the reman, $400 for the motor, $50 for the light, & $150 for the code 5, $350 for the tires/wheels, $270 for the lift, $5 for the volt meter, $17 for black lug nuts, & $15 for the 2 pole magnet i just orderd puts me just short of $3k invested:

Old 03-12-2019, 05:40 PM   #8
chevyrulz
Not Yet Wild

wow all that work to run wire to the batteries and All I had to do was plug it to the blue on the key and the unused black with a yellow stripe, now my meter turns on and off with the key, works like a champ! Thank you!!
Old 03-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #9
chevyrulz
Not Yet Wild

2 pole magnet worked! no more motor braking when i let off above 20mph, & my 16mph stock speed is now 27mph because of this 2 pole magnet vs. the stock 8 pole magnet on the FSIP speed motor. i have a 100% stock 250 curtis controller remanufactured by FSIP to stock spec & the FSIP "speed" motor with 20" tires on a 6" lift, that's the only mods & i'm getting 27mph on GPS with 20" tires without the code 5 installed, on 100% stock settings

still getting 32mph on the code 5's "speed mode", but i quit using the "torque mode" because i can't tell a difference between it & the stock settings

27 is plenty fast so i am gonna just rock the stock settings & if someone wants to race I can flip into speed mode for 32+, it hit 34 briefly on a slight dip in the roadway, it's bad to turn this motor that fast though, from my math i need to stay below 30 to be within RPM spec on the motor (6k) or it can grenade, all those speeds are with windshield up, i'm sure it'd get me another couple mph if i put the windshield down lol
Old 03-16-2019, 09:36 AM   #10
greg-g
Gone Wild

Your tires look more like 22s than 20s how about throwing a tape measure from the ground to the top of the tire.
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car