lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2019, 02:50 PM   #1
namyot11
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Led lights

Is anyone running LED lights off of 16 volts rather than running a voltage reducer? Several people have told me they do this with no issues yet others say it's a no no. What's the consensus here on the forum?

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk
namyot11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2019, 04:37 PM   #2
Kyle M.
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Led lights

I have my led light bar hooked up to 16v. The operating voltage range is 12v-24v. It might be different for a light kit though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kyle M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Not cool. you need to pull from the full battery pack to keep the batteries healthy. use a reducer, simple and easy to install.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:29 PM   #4
ClubCar86
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am. I bought the RHOX kit (LGT-306L/LB). Works good. Figure I'll move it when I get around to buying a reducer.
ClubCar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:47 PM   #5
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Running LED lights from 16V is not a problem at all for the lights. LEDs can easily run at 16V.

The difficulty is with unbalancing the pack. When you pull power from only two of the batteries this means that you are not drawing evenly from the whole pack. This has the effect of weakening the other batteries as well for various reasons. When people say that they do it and have no issue it is because they can't see any damage being done and everything seems to work perfectly.

If you don't mind the fact that you are shortening the life of your pack slightly (and if it is just a couple of LED lights that aren't used very often then it will not make a huge difference), then go for it. If you are running the lights often and/or running other things as well then my advice is "don't do it" but run things through a reducer from the entire pack.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:23 AM   #6
ClubCar86
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes, good point yawood. It also depends on the frequency that you use the lights. For us, it's a rare occurrence. If I lived in a community where my cart was the primary mode of transportation, and lights were used daily, that would be different. -By all means put the reducer in at the same time.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:31 PM   #7
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

i've run my led headlights, tail lights and horn off 2 batteries for the last 8 yrs without an issue
i rarely use my lights, 10 minutes away is all i go at night
16 volts sure make the horn perky
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:55 AM   #8
ClubCar86
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ogre View Post
i've run my led headlights, tail lights and horn off 2 batteries for the last 8 yrs without an issue
i rarely use my lights, 10 minutes away is all i go at night
16 volts sure make the horn perky
lol I finally decided to wire my horn up 16V (was going to wait until I got the reducer). Finally said F-it and wired it up. It is loud! It was a cheap eBay horn anyway. If it goes, it goes. I have some foam in it now to muffle it a bit.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car