lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #1
MartinEZGo
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Precedent charger never cuts off

I have a 2008 Precedent with 4 new 12v Trojan Motive batteries that the charger never cuts off and the charger never drops below 13 amps. Cart seems to struggle on grades as well, but I think its from the owner not charging it enough because of the charging issue. Digging through the stickys, it seems it may be an OBC issue but doing the bypass test helps the charger kick in but will it also help it cycle correctly and confirm an OBC failure?
MartinEZGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent charger never cuts off

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showt...t%2Ashut%2Aoff
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:41 AM   #3
MartinEZGo
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thank you 55! I must have missed that one in the search. I will give it a try and keep you posted.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:18 AM   #4
MartinEZGo
Getting Wild

Club Car

Also, with the blue/white wire unplugged from the small port on the solenoid, should the cart still drive? There's no click at the solenoid when you press the pedal, but the cart will still drive. Seems like a welded solenoid which may explain the low power and speed.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:59 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

No it should not. That is for the Negative supply to the activation coil of the solenoid.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:07 PM   #6
MartinEZGo
Getting Wild

Club Car

I thought so Nole, so there's 2 separate problems going on, right? Pack negative was unhooked for over an hour, reconnected and is now charging. Charger did not start, cut off and restart.... but it's charging. I'll watch the amp gauge and see what it does. Meanwhile, I'm going to install a new solenoid and see if that fixes the random ground. If not, does that mean controller issues?
Old 04-27-2020, 01:18 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEZGo View Post
I thought so Nole, so there's 2 separate problems going on, right? Pack negative was unhooked for over an hour, reconnected and is now charging. Charger did not start, cut off and restart.... but it's charging. I'll watch the amp gauge and see what it does. Meanwhile, I'm going to install a new solenoid and see if that fixes the random ground. If not, does that mean controller issues?
It could, but we would make some test runs before determining for sure.

That Negative signal is triggered by the controller thru the Blue/White wire, AFTER all the permissives have been met. Key On, Run/Tow in Run, Fwd/Rev selected, OBC Lockout satisfied, etc. etc. Once they are all met, the controller will pull that wire Low to supply the Negative.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:32 PM   #8
MartinEZGo
Getting Wild

Club Car

You're right Nole, it was the R/T switch that killed the power at the blue/white wire. But why would the solenoid still run the cart with that wire unhooked? I am going to check the charger tonight too, I think there may be a problem internally.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:06 AM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEZGo View Post
You're right Nole, it was the R/T switch that killed the power at the blue/white wire. But why would the solenoid still run the cart with that wire unhooked? I am going to check the charger tonight too, I think there may be a problem internally.
With that wire disconnected, it cannot run unless the solenoid is welded. And then it should be seen by the controller and put you in Limp mode.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:30 AM   #10
MartinEZGo
Getting Wild

Club Car

I have ordered a new Albright solenoid and will keep you posted on the changes. I plan on taking the charger apart today as well and checking it out for issues.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car