lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2020, 10:34 PM   #1
1laptech
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Large Arc when hooking up Negative Cable

Hello,
Just picked up a 1999 Club Car DS series. It has been sitting for several years under a cover in the desert. I replaced all the the batteries and cables. Checked and rechecked all the cables to the batteries and accessories. The cart has an upgraded 5 HP electric motor and a flight systems upgraded 400 amp controller. Placed all the cables on the batteries (took pictures prior to removal) I went to place the Negative cable onto the post it was a large arc (noise and all), not a regular spark. Saw residue of metal from the cable on the post.

Possibilities??
Solenoid stuck open?
Bad controller?
Frozen / bad motor (Cart rolls)?

Any help
Thanks Tom
1laptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2020, 06:05 AM   #2
NismoGriff
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Large Arc when hooking up Negative Cable

Is there a Regen diode installed? Is it installed properly?
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:20 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

There's no Regen diode on a series cart. Might have a resistor on the solenoid large posts, but that will not cause arcing on the battery posts.

Double check that all of your batteries are installed correctly. Wired - to +. Also for now remove all other wiring from the pack (small wires for lights or other accessories). The only wires connected to the pack should be the main cables.

Make sure there is no damage to the main cables going from pack to motor to FnR switch to controller etc. If it sat for a long time look every cable over very carefully and make sure there's no rodent damage to any of them.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:41 AM   #4
ncfenceguy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

It's probably not this but I thought I would mention it. If the cart has a voltage reducer on it for lights and accessories, they almost always give off a pretty good arch (and pop) as the last connection is being made. It still makes me jump a little and I've put in probably 50
ncfenceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:12 AM   #5
NismoGriff
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
There's no Regen diode on a series cart. Might have a resistor on the solenoid large posts, but that will not cause arcing on the battery posts.

Double check that all of your batteries are installed correctly. Wired - to +. Also for now remove all other wiring from the pack (small wires for lights or other accessories). The only wires connected to the pack should be the main cables.

Make sure there is no damage to the main cables going from pack to motor to FnR switch to controller etc. If it sat for a long time look every cable over very carefully and make sure there's no rodent damage to any of them.
Ooops, I missed that he stated it was a series unit
Old 07-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfenceguy View Post
It's probably not this but I thought I would mention it. If the cart has a voltage reducer on it for lights and accessories, they almost always give off a pretty good arch (and pop) as the last connection is being made. It still makes me jump a little and I've put in probably 50
I did get a surprise as well the first time I connected my cable after I installed a voltage reducer.

I now use an incandescent light bulb (or a old pre-charge resistor) between the cable and the battery post for a few seconds to allow the converter filter capacitors to charge before connecting the cable directly to the battery post.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:14 AM   #7
NismoGriff
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I did get a surprise as well the first time I connected my cable after I installed a voltage reducer.

I now use an incandescent light bulb (or a old pre-charge resistor) between the cable and the battery post for a few seconds to allow the converter filter capacitors to charge before connecting the cable directly to the battery post.
Yes, this suprised me as well, I called the guy I purchased it from to ask if it was normal. I like the light bulb idea!
Old 07-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #8
StumpNocker
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post

What a bright idea[emoji362]

Ok, ok, I'll stop lol
StumpNocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #9
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

it was brilliant!
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:24 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNocker View Post
What a bright idea[emoji362]

Ok, ok, I'll stop lol
Shocking!
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car