lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2020, 01:21 PM   #21
wienerdog63
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: SS wheel caps keep falling off :(

If the wheels are only on hand tight, they could be flexing just enough to pop those caps.
wienerdog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2020, 01:21 PM   #22
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by swm63 View Post
I think Moon is talking about this style, slips in from the back before you put the wheel on. Several styles available, ebay, amazon, site sponsors...
Yes. Look on eBay. One of our site sponsors sells them for $15 a set (The SS ones). I would spend the $15 just to see if they work.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:29 PM   #23
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
Can't seem to keep the wheel caps on my wheels. I've had them fall off when I roll a wheel/tire up the driveway and even when I am putting them on the cart. The cart does not yet run and I figure if this is happening now it will certainly happen once under speed. I do see the little plastic (I've had those break also) tabs and have the metal clip installed in the indent for the cap. One fell off after picking up the wheels from the shop, and they installed the caps so I think they should be done correctly.

Do any of you have any suggestions? Can't think I am the only one seeing this. I might just do away with the stock caps altogether and fab something up to cover the hole so I am looking for suggestions.

Thank you!
I had that problem on a recent set of wheels. I pulled the metal ring off, then took my heat gun and heated each of the tabs enough to bend them out a little. Then I pulled the wire ring open a little and put it back together. Fixed the problem for me. Give it a try.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:31 PM   #24
Blind Old Coot
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Had the same issue, silicon adhesive. Done.

Only I was a little more generous and went all the way around the cap. Super bad design. It's not like the seller tells you....hey, the trim piece falls off if you used them.

Hate retracting my tracks to see IF I can find it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200721-132411_Chrome.jpg (295.7 KB, 0 views)
Blind Old Coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:58 PM   #25
scmoose
Gone Wild

This is very interesting. I have the same set of wheels, Vampire, however they are mat black and the caps Steeleng sent me push in from the back, no metal ring at all. The problem Im having is the caps don't allow the wheel to mount flush to the brake drum or spindle in the front causing the wheels to wobble. I removed the caps and no more wobble. This is on a Precedent.
scmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:06 PM   #26
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

I see this almost daily. With no broken tabs, and the wire in place, Id say it the center cap its self for that particular wheel.

If you had some broken tabs, or the wire was gone, different story.

There is alot of knock off stuff and junk stuff and I know you find this hard to believe, but places buy that stuff in an effort to make an extra 50 cents. They should be tired at this point and just buy the good stuff for you and be done. They are not going to make the extra 50 cents on this one.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:55 PM   #27
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
This is very interesting. I have the same set of wheels, Vampire, however they are mat black and the caps Steeleng sent me push in from the back, no metal ring at all. The problem Im having is the caps don't allow the wheel to mount flush to the brake drum or spindle in the front causing the wheels to wobble. I removed the caps and no more wobble. This is on a Precedent.
You would think a manufacturer would resolve both of these issues before putting things out on the market.

Nobody should have to modify anything to bolt on a set of wheels. Ridiculous.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:23 PM   #28
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I ordered a set of those caps a while back and they just plain suck! I ended up wrapping the tabs with electrical tape to fatten them up a bit and they have held for a while now. This post reminds me to order a new set that installs from back, then whenever I pop rims off I can install them.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:36 PM   #29
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Moon-I have had three sets besides the originals (all given to me and all SS) that have all failed (where is that face palm emoji?!). I'm not opposed to ordering from a site sponsor but I don't really have the warm fuzzies that I'll have different results (and it won't be the sellers fault in my opinion when they don't work either). I agree that fixing something that you just bought (and as simple as a set of bolt on wheels) is ridiculous.

Weinerdog-I honestly have not moved the cart with the wheels and caps on; I don't even get that far before they fall off!

Thanks, Ping (my all time favorite putter!)-as you know, those tabs are so flimsy to start with. I can play with the white set I have (from the pics I posted) and see if that works; thank you for the suggestion!

BOC-great looking wheels; reminds me of the old Cragars that I used to covet in my youth!

Been following your saga, moose, and have wondered about the issue that you are having with the slide in ones. Those are what I am most familiar with on vehicles and your issue is as-if not more-annoying than mine :(

GC guy-Agreed!!

Thanks everyone (I had to go to work and am just now able to see these posts!)!

It seems that every site I visit that sells wheels has the SS brand (in fact, I don't think I have ever seen another brand!). I am pretty sure they come from overseas, so some of this does not surprise me...... But if you are the dominant player (currently) of wheels I would think that you would supply a quality cap that does not have issues.
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:38 PM   #30
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks for confirming it ain't just me, Jake!

If anyone stumbles across a rear mounted set that looks good and works (and that I can grab from a site sponsor if so) I would appreciate it! I've pulled these wheels so many times now that I can do it in my sleep......
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car