lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2020, 07:16 PM   #1
TexMatt
Not Yet Wild

Default Help me build the ultimate ranch Club Car

Hey Everyone!

First post on this forum. I've lurked for a while and really appreciate all the wisdom y'all have!

We have a small ranch in Texas, and my boys and I want to build the ultimate ranch Club Car. We have an older DS that we want to keep as is, so I'll be buying another Club Car for this project. I thought we had a Precedent bought yesterday in Beeville, TX - stretched and lifted already. But, when I went to look at it (125 miles each way from home), the cart looked as if it had been dunked in salt water; the underside was heavily corroded (significant pitting/corrosion even on the aluminum), and the steel struts for the roof and any steel nuts/bolts anywhere were rusted (some badly). So, we passed on that one and will continue our search.

I'd love to hear your opinion on what the best base cart would be for us. I know for sure we want an electric Club Car, and I know we will want a stretch version, either already stretched or have it done after we buy it. But, whether it's a Precedent, Onward, or something else, I don't know. Thoughts welcomed!

I've been reading some about the various motor options, but I'm still not entirely clear on years/motors that would be the best choice for us.

Our ranch is flat, and the roads are only somewhat rough...no deep sand, no water crossings, no big hills to climb...just small stones, potholes, and a few minor ruts. We won't be towing or using any kind of implements with the cart. Instead, we'll use it to drive the ranch with the family to check out the wildlife, cart the boys to the deer blinds and dove fields, and do some light ranch work.

In addition to hearing from you about the base cart, I'd like your opinion on the most durable lift and the recommended height. I'm not old yet (mid-50s), but I plan to keep this cart for 15-20 years, so lift height may become an issue later in life. (We've had our DS for 15 years so far, and it's still going strong!) Durability in the lift kit and shocks is important to me, because this cart will get daily use on the ranch for many, many years.

Thanks in advance for providing your thoughts!
TexMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2020, 04:14 AM   #2
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Default Re: Help me build the ultimate ranch Club Car

I feel your pain. Drove four hours to buy a three year old Silverado a few years ago from a dealer. Silverados are known for frames rusting, and I had specifically asked him to get under the truck and look for me. Got there, and within 30 seconds knew the truck was junk...rusty, filthy and just beat up. Added 600 some odd miles to the 150k truck I was selling, wasted a full day and fuel. Ended up buying a brand new truck for only $6k more.

I don't have much to offer you here, the more experienced guys will be along to help out, I'm sure. I would think that torque is more important than speed, and my PERSONAL opinion is to stick with another DS, unless you want variety. When you lift it, a spindle lift will give you more ground clearance, but has other issues that an A arm lift will not. Stick with 10" wheels so you get a FAT sidewall for bump/shock absorption.
Attached Images
File Type: png download.png (202.3 KB, 0 views)
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:02 AM   #3
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

I vote for a DS series drive , the true work horse of the cart world . I would go no more then a 6" lift A Arm style lift , mine came from redhawk 10 yrs ago . I have replaced bushings on after years of abuse but still going strong.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:39 AM   #4
TexMatt
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the suggestions, Swan and Wakko47. Much appreciated.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:48 AM   #5
Timinator
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

I'm sorry, but if you have a ranch, buy a used HuntVe 4x4 cart built off of a Club Car. I've had mine for 10 years and still love it and use it daily. There is NO comparison between what you could build for the money and what you get with a used Huntve. Trust me, I've had both. Real, all 4 wheels locked and turning when you want it, adjustable suspension, two motors, 2 600amp controllers, racks, still seats 4, etc.
Timinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #6
TexMatt
Not Yet Wild

Timinator, looks good! I'll check those out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car