lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2020, 09:37 AM   #1
Rolly72
Not Yet Wild

Default Wrong motor for an 82 1012190

I believe my motor is bad but want to test it before taking out to be sure.
I’m looking at the wiring diagram here and pics of 36v motors and don’t seem to match. (It was driving fine but then started surging and now won’t go. All new solenoids and switches.

This is how mine is wired:

A1 F&R switch
F1 Positive pack stud
A2 main solenoid
F2 negative battery pack

Thanks
Rolly72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2020, 09:49 AM   #2
Rolly72
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Motor wiring question

Deleted
Old 09-27-2020, 11:46 AM   #3
Rolly72
Not Yet Wild

Ok I’m about to loose my mind. Lol

Getting ready to pull motor as I can’t get it to move and found a serial plate that says 1012190 but my research says that shouldn’t exist in a
82 club car 36v.

I cleaned up motor and can see f1 marking on the power post.

Cat tag plate says a8201

This is a 5 solenoid resistor cart.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:24 PM   #4
Rolly72
Not Yet Wild

How do I test motor that is a f series and is it wired correctly?
Old 09-27-2020, 12:59 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The old series motors had F markings on the field studs. Only later series motors got the S markings. they function exactly the same internally.

Also just because you have an 82 cart, doesn’t mean the motor is original. I would wager a bet the motor has been replaced at some point in the last 38 years. They don’t last forever.

To test a Series motor, Use a multimeter set to continuity test function. You should have continuity from A1 to A2, and From F1 to F2.
You should not have continuity from any A stud to any F stud. You should not have continuity from any stud to the motor case.

To test motor function, use a 4 or 6ga jumper wire connected from A2 stud to F1 stud. Connect A1 stud to positive power source. Connect F2 stud to negative power source. The motor should spin. If it does not there is an internal problem in the motor. Use first test above to narrow down possibilities.

A 12v battery works best as the power source for testing, or use two of the carts batteries connected in series for 12v. Do not apply full 36v power to the motor or this can cause the motor to over-run and cause damage, assuming the motor still works.
Make sure the rear wheels of the cart are lifted off of the ground. Do not leave the cables connected for a long period of time.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #6
Rolly72
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
The old series motors had F markings on the field studs. Only later series motors got the S markings. they function exactly the same internally.

Also just because you have an 82 cart, doesn’t mean the motor is original. I would wager a bet the motor has been replaced at some point in the last 38 years. They don’t last forever.

To test a Series motor, Use a multimeter set to continuity test function. You should have continuity from A1 to A2, and From F1 to F2.
You should not have continuity from any A stud to any F stud. You should not have continuity from any stud to the motor case.

To test motor function, use a 4 or 6ga jumper wire connected from A2 stud to F1 stud. Connect A1 stud to positive power source. Connect F2 stud to negative power source. The motor should spin. If it does not there is an internal problem in the motor. Use first test above to narrow down possibilities.

A 12v battery works best as the power source for testing, or use two of the carts batteries connected in series for 12v. Do not apply full 36v power to the motor or this can cause the motor to over-run and cause damage, assuming the motor still works.
Make sure the rear wheels of the cart are lifted off of the ground. Do not leave the cables connected for a long period of time.
Thanks. No go on motor going. All continuity test pass except a1 to a2. No continuity. What would that mean? Thanks
Old 09-27-2020, 07:33 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

No continuity A1 to A2 means the brushes are worn out or there is damage to the armature/commutator. That can often be fixed, but the motor has to be taken apart to verify.
If the brushes are just worn out, they can be replaced but the commutator needs to be re-finished b a motor shop or the new brushes will be damaged very quickly.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:09 PM   #8
Rolly72
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
No continuity A1 to A2 means the brushes are worn out or there is damage to the armature/commutator. That can often be fixed, but the motor has to be taken apart to verify.
If the brushes are just worn out, they can be replaced but the commutator needs to be re-finished b a motor shop or the new brushes will be damaged very quickly.
Thank you for your help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car