lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2020, 07:08 AM   #1
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Default What's something you know now that you wish you'd known when you started?

I'm about to buy my first golf cart and start modding. I'm sure there will be much learning along the way. What are some things you know about golf carts now that you wish you'd known when you first started?
HogKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2020, 07:44 AM   #2
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Default Re: What's something you know now that you wish you'd known when you started?

the expense , I got 7000.00 in a cart worth 3500.00 lol. keep in mind i have had this cart 12 years and replace everything at least once .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:47 AM   #3
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Default Re: What's something you know now that you wish you'd known when you started?

1) 48v all day, e'r day
2) Know your goals, buy the right foundation
3) Difference between series/sepex carts
4) Don't buy a cart based on wheels/lift/accessories. Get the color and style you want, it's not cheap to change it.
5) Brands and dates of batteries matter.
6) That it's an addiction...
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:15 AM   #4
ACCLR8N
Getting Wild

Club Car

Inspecting the frames more thoroughly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201002_195324376.jpg (98.2 KB, 0 views)
ACCLR8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:53 AM   #5
scat pack cart
Not Yet Wild

It's fun..... a *itch...... exciting...... pain in the butt........ satisfying..... brain drain. It's like any other HOBBY.... Golf, Boat, Lake...they all take money , and you always find new things you want to make better. As long as you have fun in the end, it's all that matters.
scat pack cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:29 AM   #6
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Enjoy the ride, even when it is no fun! You will learn a lot, swear a bit, and spend more than you thought; enjoy every minute of it because it will pay off.

Utilize the site sponsors. I did not in the early days and made many avoidable mistakes (causing more swearing than necessary).

Enjoy the ride!!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:33 AM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Unlike most cars and trucks, there are huge differences in the way these carts are made to run. These differences are not only between brands, but from the same manufacturer for different models and years, and sometimes the same model in the same year. It is sometimes extremely difficult to get the proper wiring diagram for a specific cart.

As far as gas carts, you can pretty much forget everything you know about regular cars and trucks and you have to learn how they operate. Different ballgame.

But I like doing all of this!

I will also add the the most frustrating part for me now that I know a little about how these things work, people don't understand why I can't tell them right away over the phone what is wrong with their cart. The number one question being "how do I test the controller?"
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:30 PM   #8
Out2Sea
Gone Wild

Bluetooth, and not being stuck using a windows laptop to make cart changes. Other thing would be to look closer into having a switchable series motor custom built. Appears to be the best of all worlds.
Out2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:37 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out2Sea View Post
Bluetooth, and not being stuck using a windows laptop to make cart changes. Other thing would be to look closer into having a switchable series motor custom built. Appears to be the best of all worlds.
Already exists http://empinc.biz/motors
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:52 PM   #10
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

I agree with all that has been said especially by ACCLR8N. Wish I had known to inspect the frame. Wasn't easy to find a good welder to fix the problem.

Wish I'd known that the learning curve for working on a golf cart is fairly steep. I might not have undertaken the upgrade projects. A service manual became my best friend and I could not have completed the project without the help of the great guys on this forum.

Wish I had known I'd have to buy a second tool chest for all the tools I had to buy to work on my cart. Never thought I'd own a inch/lb torque wrench.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car