lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #21
kriegtb
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 94 Marathon jerky at slow speed.

Scotty - I checked the potbox again today. It moved very smoothly through the range from 0-6k. I also checked all the microswitch and controller connections. I noticed today that after about 20min of riding the motor was extremely hot. I could not keep my hand on it. Not sure if that is normal.
kriegtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #22
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

no that is not normal.... you should contact Robby at PQ to see his thoughts.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #23
kriegtb
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I had the same issue before the motor rebuild. I am just trying to determine if it is the controller or the pot box. Before the motor rebuild the cart was jerky at low speeds. I thought it was due to the lugs on the motor being loose and the fact that I pressure washed the cart once I stripped it down to the frame. I think the motor is good now. Speed increased about 15-20% and torque has improved. The low speed issue is not as noticeable now but is definately still there. I just don't want to change parts to find the problem.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #24
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Jack up the rear end and support it on jackstands. Hook the red lead of the DVM to the B+ on the controller, and the black lead to the M- on the controller. slowly press the pedal to the floor (key on, cart in forward) and watch the voltage. It should be a smooth flow from start to finish. If not, it is possible that the controller itself has a bad cap inside......
Old 08-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #25
kriegtb
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks rabbit. I will give that a try tomorrow. I wish there was a way to do that but keep the motor and controller under load. I have a feeling it won't show up with the tires off the ground and no real load on the system.

If I have to go with a new controller can the PQ motors handle a higher amp controller or do I need to stick with the 275 amp Curtis 1204?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #26
GThomp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You can make up some jumpers and hook them up to you DVM, and go look for a hill, just make sure that there insulated, you don't want any sparks.
GThomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #27
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriegtb View Post
Thanks rabbit. I will give that a try tomorrow. I wish there was a way to do that but keep the motor and controller under load. I have a feeling it won't show up with the tires off the ground and no real load on the system.

If I have to go with a new controller can the PQ motors handle a higher amp controller or do I need to stick with the 275 amp Curtis 1204?
If you have aligator clips, you can do it in motion on the ground. I do it from time to time....

as for the motor, I have run as much as a 700 AMP on a PQ motor......
Old 08-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #28
kriegtb
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I did the test today. Cart jacked up with no load, voltage tested fine. Used clips to test while driving under load and found that after starting slow then going to open throttle, the voltage went up quickly but started clipping at about 25v. It slowly and roughly built to 36v as the cart gained speed but I could tell by the bar on my meter that it wasnt smooth. I could actually hear a faint clicking noise that corelated with the rough increase in voltage. Similar to relay chatter.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #29
kriegtb
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

One other note. I tested battery pack as well. Scotty mentioned a possible bad battery. 39v at rest. Dropped to 33v briefly when i went from 0 to full throttle then came up to 36v.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #30
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriegtb View Post
One other note. I tested battery pack as well. Scotty mentioned a possible bad battery. 39v at rest. Dropped to 33v briefly when i went from 0 to full throttle then came up to 36v.
test each individual battery, might be the issue right there....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO