lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Question Looking for a charger with "EQUALIZE" setting

After reading a lot on deep cycle batteries and seeing the mention of periodic equalization (Trojan) to limit/eliminate sulfation, I began looking for chargers having an equalize setting. (I know that proper charging/maintenance will limit the need for equalization but sometimes that just doesn't always happen!) Anyway, so far I haven't found even one charger with an equalize setting (unless I'm missing something). Does anyone know of a charger having an equalize function/setting (or maybe all the chargers have it without saying so)?? Any thoughts on this ?? -RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
1badezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Looking for a charger with "EQUALIZE" setting

I think the Lester chargers will equalize if you plug and unplug it from the cart 4 times and let it charge till it stops.

Anybody correct me if I'm wrong it is on here somewhere.
1badezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The only ones I've seen cost more than the houses I bought in the 60's & 70's
Used for Telecom and data center battery back-up systems with bathtub sized cells.

I had pretty good results with just a stock Powerwise II. Simply restarted it numerous times after a full charge and recharging after minimal usage. (Akin to a new battery break-in)
I'm now getting a max charge in the 97% SoC range (38.1V) and the battery voltage matches within 0.05V on a set of T-105's with a date code of L9 and an uncertain history.

I'm thinking about playing some games with the PW-II so it'll take the pack up to 46.5V when I want it to.

Also, there is some misunderstandings about the meaning of "equalization" floating around out there. It means charging a Cell until the SG no longer increases. At this point the sulfuric acid concentration will be equal to to original concentration, less any sulfur ions still bonding to the lead compounds. (Sulfation of the plates). If the H2SO4 concentration is lower (or higher) than what was originally poured in at time of manufacture, it should be adjusted to the correct value. (Note: If the SG is high, it means that someone that didn't know what they were doing added acid to the battery. If it is significantly low, it means some of the electrolyte was spilled or bubbled out due to overfilling and then replace with water. During normal operation, no H2SO4 is lost - only H2O is electrolyzed into Hydrogen and Oxygen gases)

Since Equalization occurs at the Cell level, we can equalize individual batteries with a 6V charger, or pairs in series with a 12V charger, or all 6 with a 36V charger if the charger is capable of taking the terminal voltage into the equalization level. Manual chargers will probably do it, automatic ones probably won't, but restarting them multiple times like I did produce some favorable results.

WARNING: You are deliberately OVERCHARGING, so do no do this unless you know what you are doing and are prepared to replace any destroyed batteries!!!

Good luck and be safe.
John

Last edited by JohnnieB; 12-01-2011 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Changed "hydrolyzed" to "electrolyzed" - different chemical process.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badezgo View Post
I think the Lester chargers will equalize if you plug and unplug it from the cart 4 times and let it charge till it stops.

Anybody correct me if I'm wrong it is on here somewhere.
Your not wrong

This is from a Lestronic II manual:

If the batteries have not been used or charged
regularly, they may be sulfated and will not
produce their full capacity. Repeated cycles (at
least 5) of a light discharge, followed by a full
charge, will generally result in the recovery of
most of the battery's capacity. Do not interpret
this reduced battery capacity as being caused
by the charger's turning off too soon. The
charger is working properly if, after several
charge cycles, the battery capacity increases to
near normal. Sulfation occurs most often when
the batteries have been stored without weekly
charging. New batteries may also be sulfated
due to extended shipment or storage time prior
to sale.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Anybody have links for any of these chargers?

How about a constant current (completely manual) charger for EQ purposes?
SEHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks guys for all the responses, especially Johnnieb. I think I'll follow the Lestronic procedure of at least 5 light discharges and then recharge to try to bring capacity back. I just got this 2008 EZGO cart which has been verry lightly used (looks like a brand new cart). I think the batteries are probably ok but have been left to sit in a partially discharged state for too long (this cart came with a non-functioning powerwise QE piece of crap). The pack open circuit voltage after 12 hr rest is finally showing some signs of improvement after being exercised. My last procedure consisted of exercising the pack by doing quite a bit of running, then doing a full charge. This yielded almost .2 volts resting voltage (now reads 37.6 volts). I know that bringing the voltage back to 100% will not be possible, but my goal is 38 volts. We'll see what the "Lestronic" procedure yields (1st of 5 cycles almost complete). Anyway, thanks again - RAY

Last edited by bigstik40; 12-02-2011 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: addition
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEHunter View Post
1.Anybody have links for any of these chargers?

2. How about a constant current (completely manual) charger for EQ purposes?
1. The OP stated he could find a charger with an Equalization setting. The chargers specifically mentioned are off the shelf golf cart chargers avaiable from several of the Site Sponsors, or you can find hundreds of sources by Google-ing: 36V golf cart battery charger.

2. A variable constant current source might work if the voltage was high enough. Would be better with adjustable voltage limiting.
The current needed is only about 1-3% of C @ 20Hr rate, so it would only be in the 2-6A range.

The object is to put the cells in the gassing phase and leave them there until the SG no longer increases, without exceeding about 110 degrees F.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Question Re: Looking for a charger with "EQUALIZE" setting

I picked this charger up about 2 months ago. It works fine just not sure about the maintance part of it. Called the number but yet to get any info on it. The guy I got it from said it's a old Wal-Mart buggy pusher charger. Which if you google it that's what you find.
Does anybody know anything about them? The only thing I see wrong with it it needs a handle to carry it.

Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't know a thing about that brand, but it has the appearance of a well made charger! Having the " maintaining " feature would be excellent for winter storage of the snow belt carts!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Cool Re: Looking for a charger with "EQUALIZE" setting

Yea it does and it's heavy to boot! I don't have any 36 volt carts anymore though except for the one I'm building to sell. I guess it will go with it when time comes to sell it.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO