lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default ITS / Pot Box.

I was looking at a recent thread by " athomas03 " about the differences in these two systems for racing.
What I'd like to know is which system do you all like better in normal everyday use. My cart is originally a pot box, but I'm using an ITS throttle and Curtis 1206 controller temporarily for now. Now with the newer controllers set up for either system, is one really " better " than the other?
This has nothing to do with mounting. I already have that all worked out.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: ITS / Pot Box.

The pot is smoother.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: ITS / Pot Box.

I'll have to agree the pot has always ben smoother and for me more reliable.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

2 votes for the pot box so far. This is exactly what I am looking for. I kept my original 0-5K pot and it's just waiting for a shiny new controller to be hooked to it!
And, while we are on this subject, since the pot has 3 leads, to change it to a 5-0K, you would just change the outside lead to the other outside terminal leaving the center as is, correct?
Old 12-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Question Re: ITS / Pot Box.

That sound's correct but I'm not a 100% sure. It's been awhile since I did one to change it over to a C/C controller.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I'll have to agree the pot has always ben smoother and for me more reliable.
I'm not questioning your expertise or experience. I've only had one electric buggy (and a gasser), and it's a '98 Series with ITS, but I don't see how a potentiometer can possibly compete with a potted inductor, all other things being equal.

Are the ITS problems caused by improper adjustment wrt the micro? I'm an engineer (if it ain't broke - it just needs more features), but I have a hard time understanding why a device with moving parts beats a device with no moving parts - and completely sealed to boot.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
TDAWG
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I'm not questioning your expertise or experience. I've only had one electric buggy (and a gasser), and it's a '98 Series with ITS, but I don't see how a potentiometer can possibly compete with a potted inductor, all other things being equal.

Are the ITS problems caused by improper adjustment wrt the micro? I'm an engineer (if it ain't broke - it just needs more features), but I have a hard time understanding why a device with moving parts beats a device with no moving parts - and completely sealed to boot.
TDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
jonequest
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
2 votes for the pot box so far. This is exactly what I am looking for. I kept my original 0-5K pot and it's just waiting for a shiny new controller to be hooked to it!
And, while we are on this subject, since the pot has 3 leads, to change it to a 5-0K, you would just change the outside lead to the other outside terminal leaving the center as is, correct?
One plus for the pot box is something I found out the hard way. Kelly brand controllers work with pretty much ANY throttle EXCEPT ITS so I had to create a pot box in my original ITS location. Now that I switched over it does work just fine. The advantage is that my Kelly 500amp 48volt controller was only $299.00. I have never tested an Alltrax but if price didn't matter they are probably a little better quality than my Chinese made Kelly. So far even with an upgraded motor it never runs hot though, and is PC programmable, capable of regen if you have a sepex motor, etc. like the more expensive ones.
jonequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #9
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post

No moving parts in an ITS ????

pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
No moving parts in an ITS ????

I'm sure he was referring to the coil itself. The plunger does move through the coil, but doesn't touch it. At least it's not supposed to!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO