lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2011, 12:55 AM   #1
Nor_exp
Not Yet Wild

Default No go EZ-GO

Great site, Thanks in advance for any/all direction. I am very new to this electric cart thing so please bear with me. I have a 1998 EZ-GO Electric 36V. The cart sat in the garage for a couple of months without any use. I charged the batteries in hopes to use it around the yard. When charged, I got in to use the cart and drove approx. 40 ft and it stopped (almost as if the batteries were drained). When the foot feet was pressed the cart would start to move then disengage and a low muffled rumble (whir) would occur. I pushed the cart back into the garage and back onto the charger. After some additional charging, I pressed the foot feet down and a clicking sound would occur, but no cart movement. I had a new solenoid on hand so I replaced the solenoid and the cart moved again. This time only a couple of feet and then the same sound as described above. I tried re-charging one more time with the same result. When the foot feet is pressed slightly the cart moves forward like it should, when the foot feet in fully depressed it seems to disengage. Not sure if I should pull batts. and check all wiring or focus more on the controller. I appologize for the length of this post and would appreciate any feedback.
Nor_exp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: No go EZ-GO

Welcome to BGW!

When doing this, MAKE SURE that the cart can not run off on you, Safety first

The situation you describe leads me to believe that you stripped the splines of a brake drum/hub (a known weak spot in the drivetrain), probably on the driver's side, but could be either one. Remove any hubcaps or hub dust shields, and when it does it again, check one of the axle castle nuts and see if it's spinning, (this is easier with two people) and the other side will remain stationary. The spinning side is the bad drum/hub.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I would check the batteries first..... you can test them at a standstill and report the voltages here, and you can tape the DVM to the pack mains and try to drive, noting the drop in voltage.

Reason I say this is I have a cart I swore stripped a hub at the ranch this past summer, only to find a bad battery after pulling both hubs and the motor & input shaft!?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
Nor_exp
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for your responses. I will try the batteries first, once I am positive they are in good working order and fully charged I will move onto the drive of the cart. Still feel like I cannot rule out the controller though!
Old 12-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Nor_exp
Not Yet Wild

O.K. Finally was able to check the batteries in the cart. Voltage ranged from 6.01 to 6.19. I will check the wires and the hub assembly today as earlier directed. Thanks again for any/all input.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #6
Nor_exp
Not Yet Wild

Finally got time to focus on the cart. After sitting for the night, I went out and re-checked the batteries (I had previously checked after disconnecting the charger). At this check, 5 Batteries were above 6V and one was at 4V and read BAD on the meter. I went down and purchased a new battery and replaced the failed battery, WOW! fixed, for now anyway. I will need to replace all at once soon, just wanted to see if this would work. Still completely perplexed as to the symptoms of this issue and the final result (my inexperience with these carts shines through).Thanks to those who have followed this thread and thanks to those who have contributed.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

good to hear it is running. scotty knows his stuff. sounds like you are on your way to understanding carts. might go to his web site (cartsunlimited.com) and do some reading on battery levels and maintenance, especially the voltage vs. %of charge. such as 36.31 is only 50% charged.

and welcome to BGW!
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
Nor_exp
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info Madoc1. On my way to cartsunlimited.com for a little battery education.

Tags
controller, relay, solenoid, wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO