lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
Hardatwork
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 1981 2Pg lack of power

Hi guys. I took my cart to the lake 2 weeks ago. It runs well on the flat ground but we have many hills and it falls on its face going up. It will run 18 mph on flat ground but down to walking speed half way up hills. I put on the shorter belt but did not help on hills. so I brought it back home thinking low compression. I checked compression and it is 110 forward and 115 in reverse. Do you think that is enough. If that is sufficient compression what else can I check? Also I am using premix 128 to 1.

Thank again for all your help!

Chuck
Hardatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1981 2Pg lack of power

I think that I would first look at the operation of the clutches. Remove the panel just behind the seats and get someone to look at the clutches as you drive. From your post it looks like they are starting as they should with the drive clutch being open and the driven closed and as the engine speed increases they close and open respectively.

As a guess I think that as you climb the hill the driven clutch is not opening as you slow which is keeping you in a higher gear and bogging you down.

But as I say just a guess.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
Hardatwork
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hi Dave I should have mentioned I installed a new driven clutch last week and it still doing the same thing on hills. Do you think the problem could be it the drive clutch? I have it home now and the hills are not the same as we have at the lake it goes up the hills hear fine. Do you think the compression numbers OK?

Chuck
Old 06-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
Hardatwork
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am also thinking if the seals were bad would this a lose in horsepower?

Chuck
Old 06-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Well it's a tough call without actually playing with it. Certainly 110 psi is plenty good enough and the fact that your cart is running 18 mph on the flat is a pretty good indicator that there is not much wrong with the motor. It still might be worth getting the back axle on stands and looking at the drive clutch as you gently rev the engine, just to ensure that the clutch is closing (and more importantly) opening smoothly as you slow down.

I hesitate to point the finger at the seals as to be honest my experience is with perfect seals when the cart runs beautifully and popped seals when the cart does not run at all. I would hate to see you go down the road of changing them only to find it made no difference.

If it were mine I think I would still look to the clutch (maybe take it back to the steep hill and observe it). If I couldn't find the issue easily I would be tempted to live with it as it is and wait until the compression falls below 100 psi. Then would be a good time to rebuild the little guy and replace the bearings and seals.

Good luck
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

is this something that just started to happen ( the loss on hills ) or has it always did this? i beleive you might be able to find an after market clutch or clutch springs to help with climbing but you might lose a bit of top end speed...........thats an option if this is something the cart has always done..........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
Hardatwork
Gone Wild

Club Car

This cart is new to me. I ran it some at home before I took it to the lake and it was OK but the hills at the lake are much steeper. Can you tell me more about any thing I can do to improve it's power on the hills. I put the HP3004 Dayco belt on that is shorter. It has a little faster take off but no help on the hills on the streets. I would like to put some 22in. tires on but I think I would have to push it up the hills.

Chuck
Old 06-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

you can have the clutches re-worked for more hill climbing you might want to post in the big block forum to see if anyone has done it.....there should be..........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO