lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Default Recovering a seat

There has been some questions on here lately about recovering seats and buying seat covers. I recovered my seat today and figured I'd show just how easy it is to do it yourself and save a few bucks.

This winter somebody stole my seat off my cart but thankfully BGW member "Mr. Club Car" had one available and we were able to make a deal. The seat was in pretty good condition but would need to be recovered to match my other seats and would need some work to repair a missing corner. The first step as to go to the local JoAnn Fabrics and get some black marine vinyl. Total investment for the vinyl is about 25 bucks to do the bottom and backs, just to do the bottom is about 15 dollars.

This is what I started with, my helpers confirmed that the seat was good other than the missing corner:

Today was garbage day in my neighborhood so I snagged this beautiful sofa cushion as a foam source.

Peeled back the vinyl but left it on to hold the foam in place as I sculpted the new corner. I know what you're thinking "that corner looks like crap". Well, you're right, it does but there are a few reasons why. First, the spray adhesive wasn't doing a great job. Secondly, I intentionally left the corner bigger because the cushion foam was less dense than the original seat foam. I wanted the new foam to be smashed down a bit by the new seat cover so it would become firmer and match the stock foam better.

After the corner was done it was time to get the new vinyl on. I start with the longer sides first. Staple one side down and then you can really get a good pull on the vinyl to get it good and tight before stapling the other long side down. It's helpful here to have an extra set of hands but apparently my head assistant was busy test driving his newest cart....

The corners, the hardest part. You can go about this a few different ways but I choose to take the easiest and quickest way myself. I look at it almost like you would when wrapping a Christmas present. If you take your time you can fold the corners over and get a pretty good fit on the corners. Make sure you do things the same side to side so all the corners look the same.

Once you do the corners you can reassemble and you are done, of course you always need to clean up (or you can have an assistant handle clean up duties).

shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Default Re: Recovering a seat

I should add that despite using all that extra foam in the corner I still could have used some more honestly. The finished result wasn't bad and it's definitely good enough that I'm not going to undo my work but if I had to do it again I would make the patch even bigger so that it would firm up more as it compacted down.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

I recovered my seats on my first '96 cart I bought back in 2009.
That's exactly what I did; went to Joann, got some gray marine vinyl and covered the bottom and both seat back.
It was very easy and looked great!
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Kudaman
Gone Wild

Club Car

We are always our worse critics! They look greed dude! Well done.
Kudaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
tomsws6
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

FYI They are having a sale right now. Its like 8 bucks a yard. ITs usually 16.
tomsws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsws6 View Post
FYI They are having a sale right now. Its like 8 bucks a yard. ITs usually 16.

I saw that online the other day, can't beat that. Can recover your seat bottoms and seat backs for less than 20 bucks and about an hour's worth of time.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
yukonjackgt
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Looks great ! I had a fire last year so needed new foam. Jo anns sells decent foam also. I just finished redoing mine.
yukonjackgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
Meatwad
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

great job i need to do this next week
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
TRP
Gone Wild

Looks great. Be a buddy and head on out here to California and take care of mine?... ;)

T
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:08 AM   #10
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

^^^

My wife says that is something I (we) can definitely help you out with. I will provide all materials and labor free of charge in exchange for the two cheapest airline tickets you can find.

Tags
for under 25 bucks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car