lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2017, 07:58 AM   #1
yamahag1cart
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Preparing to start a G1 J10

Hey All -

After picking up a 1979 or 1980 G1 - J10 for free, I am getting ready to try and get her to run. Engine seems to have strong compression. I have just a few questions concerning electrical matters first as I am familiar with the standard fuel, air, spark tests on a combustion engine.

I've put a new spark plug in and plan on dumping the old 2 stroke oil and gas then replacing with fresh... Now for my questions :)

The battery was missing when I got it but the PO said it was just a standard car battery. Can anyone here tell me the recommend group size or number of cold cranking amps required for these old carts?

Also, one of the solenoids is known to be bad, but I was hopeful that the other would be good and could be used for the forward direction? Is this possible and how could I wire or rig it to at least know that it'll go before dealing with buying and wiring a new solenoid?

Thanks in advance for the help!
yamahag1cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2017, 08:15 AM   #2
yamahag1cart
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Preparing to start a G1 J10

Old 11-01-2017, 08:40 AM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

A group 24 battery. No need for a high cold cranking one. The compression is much lower then a 4 cycle. The solenoids are interchangeable.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

As far as the solenoid goes figure out witch one is bad and if forward is bad simply switch the small "signal" wires are this will make forward reverse and reverse forward in the key switch aslo the old style solenoids are no longer available so if you do get it running you will need to convert to the new style http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...id-please.html here's how.. if you haven't done it yet I'll pull carb and give it a good cleaning make sure all the jets are clean and blow air through all the passages
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #5
jetboatjosh
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I just cleaned and rebuilt my carb. I got the rebuild kit from amazon for around $6, I highly recommend it. Don't forget to clean the fuel pump also, I think there is a sticky on that. Good luck and let's see some pics.
jetboatjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #6
yamahag1cart
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the input everyone! I'll be picking up a battery later today but was super bummed to realize that the replacement keys I ordered for the cart don't fit all the way into the key switch!

Think I have figured out the image hosting and will post pics soon!

I'll have to take a look for the rebuild kit! Wondering if I should re-build the carb or at least clean before seeing if it'll go. More to come soon.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #7
yamahag1cart
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Just figured out how to post photos! Here I go :) Super stoked because with the exception on some lights the thing seems to be completely unmolested.

Below is the serial - Can anyone help decipher if it is a 1979 or 1980 model?

Also there is the old plug I pulled - Does it look pretty normal, or anything to address in the motor?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0645.jpg (145.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4022.jpg (241.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4301.jpg (75.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-01-2017, 08:25 PM   #8
yamahag1cart
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Here is the cart as was posted for free on the next-door neighborhood app, then at my house after being towed down the road for $50 by a guy I found on craigslist. It seems to be stuck in gear, which I am still trying to figure it out but how can i put it in "neutral" to where I can roll it around??!!??

Its body was custom painted by original owner to match the Texas A&M colors and a bumper sticker on the back! It was then included with a home purchase, then given to me. As stated, where it was painted in the past as far as I can tell everything looks intact so I am hopeful to keep it that way!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Free Cart.jpg (84.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg In garage.jpg (235.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Driveway dark.jpg (160.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Driveway dark 2.jpg (136.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #9
yamahag1cart
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Pictured is the battery tray which has rust but I trust it to hold the battery for now. The negative terminal was disconnected from the frame, can anyone shed some light on where it should go?

The cart with the cover up. Note how I had to build a frame to put on top of a dolly so that I could roll the cart around. See post above lol.

Here is the solenoid mess - A little burning on the wire jacket and one of the posts is completely broken on that bad side but I am hopeful that the other one will work and I can use it on the forward gear. Any suggestions of where to move the wires?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batery tray.jpg (230.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Cover up.jpg (269.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Solenoid Mess.jpg (196.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-01-2017, 08:43 PM   #10
yamahag1cart
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Lastly for tonight is a photo of the old gas that I drained out of the tank, as well as some of the sludge that followed at the end of the tank. A long metal piece and ring fell out of the tank and will certainly need help figuring that one out.

Here are the 2 tanks removed and drained. Any tips or advice for cleaning the tanks inside and out?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Gad.jpg (371.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Tank Sludge.jpg (195.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Clean up.jpg (261.7 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha