lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2015, 06:19 AM   #1
DRCummins
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 Yamaha Drive, Good Deal?

As you guys might have noticed with my post history I am having a hard time finding a good "starter" cart for a project over winter. I thought I had found a Club Car for a reasonable price, but that deal fell through. Then, I bought a Yamaha G22 but it was a pieced together bag of parts ranging from 1995 to 2003 parts. The seller worked with me and I ended up returning that one.

That brings me to my new find. It is a 2008 Yamaha drive, with a light kit that is not installed for $2500. Is that reasonable? Also, are there any common areas of trouble on the drive? I know each year has something typically (for instance input shaft bearings on the G22 etc).

Thanks!
DRCummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2015, 03:49 PM   #2
Konrad
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2008 Yamaha Drive, Good Deal?

In my area the 08's are going for $3000-$3400 for a clean good running cart.
Konrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:06 PM   #3
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCummins View Post
As you guys might have noticed with my post history I am having a hard time finding a good "starter" cart for a project over winter. I thought I had found a Club Car for a reasonable price, but that deal fell through. Then, I bought a Yamaha G22 but it was a pieced together bag of parts ranging from 1995 to 2003 parts. The seller worked with me and I ended up returning that one.

That brings me to my new find. It is a 2008 Yamaha drive, with a light kit that is not installed for $2500. Is that reasonable? Also, are there any common areas of trouble on the drive? I know each year has something typically (for instance input shaft bearings on the G22 etc).

Thanks!
That's a reasonable price. The Drive carts are great running carts, the only issue that I've seen is the clutches. But they can be corrected through aftermarket modifications and better quality drive belts.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #4
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

08 is a good model. No clutch issues with that year. Some loose rear hubs, but is an easy fix and sometimes the differential will make noise when braking- again an easy fix. As long as it has not been molested by a back yard golf cart mechanic, it should be a good deal.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #5
dbmachine
Gone Wild

07-2012 had the troublesome jerky clutches made by team. That's s fair price but I would offer 2250$ cash. The clutches can be easily upgraded though,
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:01 PM   #6
nota
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmachine View Post
07-2012 had the troublesome jerky clutches made by team. That's s fair price but I would offer 2250$ cash. The clutches can be easily upgraded though,
by up graded you mean replaced or rebuilt/mod ?

is one clutch worse then the other for jerking ?
nota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:18 PM   #7
dbmachine
Gone Wild

You have to replace the secondary because it is garbage and you can't buy them from yamaha anymore unless someone has one on a shelf collecting dust. The new secondary clutch requires a new belt though that's different in dimension. Here is some info

http://www.plowmanscarts.com/parts_yamaha_drive.html

The primary can be rebuilt with new internals
Old 09-02-2015, 10:19 PM   #8
dbmachine
Gone Wild

those kits make a hell of a difference
Old 09-02-2015, 10:20 PM   #9
DRCummins
Not Yet Wild

I am going to look at it tomorrow. Seller would not come down, but for 2500 will throw in the light kit and back seat, both new in box. So that makes it fairly decent based on what I am hearing I think.

As far as clutches I have read the Plow man upgrades are the way to go. For about 400 you get the primary redone, a new secondary and some miscellaneous part upgrades. If I understand all this stuff right that is....

Keep the comments coming and thanks for the info.!
DRCummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #10
dbmachine
Gone Wild

I've done the full plowmans kits on all the g29 carts I've owned and in the immediate family. Is night and day difference. Makes the cart snappy, up to 30mph top speed, and super pulling and climbing power. If you like to ride off road on tails etc this kits makes it fun and responsive
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha