lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2017, 08:28 AM   #1
Pig Punisher
Not Yet Wild

Default Starter generator barely turning

I'm trying to resurrect a 91 marathon with the 3pg engine. It's an old abandoned cart that was left on my friends property and he wants it gone. It is missing the carb, muffler and has a broken front leaf spring, other than that it seems okay. Yesterday I cleaned up the wiring and pulled the spark plug out, plug looked good and the engine turns over by hand as it should. I squirted a little pb blaster in the cylinder just cause it seemed like a good idea. Installed my compression tester and hooked up a battery and the engine turned over several times and showed 120 lbs. I then checked for spark and had good spark. However with the plug reinstalled the starter just barely can turn the motor over. I have bypassed the solenoid by hooking straight to the starter. Makes no difference. Pull the plug out and it turns over fine. The starter got pretty hot during all of this. I'm just wondering if worn brushes is the culprit or am I overlooking something?
Pig Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2017, 08:47 AM   #2
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Starter generator barely turning

First you could double check all of the starter connections. If you have a bad connection or mostly broken wire- not enough amps can get through and it won't have much power. If all that checks out, then maybe you can open up the starter and inspect the brushes.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:45 AM   #3
country1982country
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

before you remove the starter remove the rubber covers and use some electrical parts cleaner and clean inside the starter then blow out with air it may have corrosion on the armature from sitting while you have the covers off look at the depth of the brushes to make sure that they do not need replacing
country1982country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:57 PM   #4
Pig Punisher
Not Yet Wild

Starter tested good at my local golf cart shop. When cranking I have a huge voltage drop. Down to about 7.4 volts. I am leaning towards my forward reverse switch so my next step will be to take off/ inspect/ clean up as well as replace the heavy gauge wires going to the starter from the forward reverse switch.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:32 PM   #5
country1982country
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I do not know if you have the same start gen as the newer models we run but they are fairly easy to rebuild and a little cheaper than buying a new start gen I had one apart and back together today in about thirty min taking it off was another story the brushes are 90% of my problem with a start gen check them first the heavy gauge wire is most likely not your problem I would really look at the brushes first I have heard of the bearings going bad on the armature but not often usually brushes go first and if your cart has sat a long time then its a good possibility that there is build up that doesn't let current move like it should the one I had apart today would start half of the time then all of a sudden not turn over you can test if its actually getting the correct voltage to the starter with a volt meter by putting the ground lead on the ground on bat taking the positive and touching to the stud coming from your solenoid at the starter if you are getting 12+ volts to the starter/generator then your problem is in the starter so before you buy parts you do not need test test and test some more
country1982country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:16 PM   #6
Pig Punisher
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. Im probably not explaining in enough detail what all is going on here. When I first started this I hooked up the battery to the carbless mufflerless engine, with the spark plug removed and it turned it fine. Put my compression tester on and again, turned the engine over fine and showed 120psi. Reinstalled the plug and the starter is now unable to turn the motor over. So I tried many things including hooking jumper cables from my running f250 straight to the starter generator and no difference. So I figure, like you, brushes. So I removed the starter generator and took it to the golf cart shop who assured me there is nothing wrong with my starter generator.
That brings me to today. I reinstalled the starter generator and no difference, so I put my meter on while cranking and have a huge voltage drop, but here is what I'm thinking. The 2 stroke forward reverse switch is the same as an electric cart, it switches bus bars to turn the starter backwards for reverse ,and the current flow always runs through that switch. if those contacts are bad that may explain why I don't have enough voltage to turn the engine over.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:45 AM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

How bout its a bad battery?
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:38 AM   #8
Pig Punisher
Not Yet Wild

I will be taking a new battery on my next trip, but the voltage drops below 10 hooked to my running f250 with #4 jumper cables.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:11 PM   #9
75Harley
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I just picked up the same cart as you. It also was sitting for a very long time. I had the same issue as you. I took apart the FNR switch and cleaned all the copper bolts on my bench grinder with wire wheel. That was the problem. I posted some pictures on my album titled 1991 ezgo marathon
75Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:33 AM   #10
Pig Punisher
Not Yet Wild

BOOM thanks a bunch. I will find out on the 4th or 5th and post back here when I do
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO