lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
JoeVR5
Not Yet Wild

Default G9 backfiring, no power . . . confusing!

Hi everybody,

I have a Yamaha G9 that seems to have lost all power. Here's what I have tested so far . . .

I have a great spark at the plug . . . also disconnected the fuel line and cranked the motor for a while and got some good gas movement.

Took apart the carburetor and everything seemed okay . . . no major gunk in the bowl or anything . . . put it back together and reinstalled.

When I push the pedal, the cart moves forward very slowly and there are constant backfires.

I tried disconnecting the intake from the carb and there seems to be the occasional large backfire, which is pretty loud when the intake is disconnected.

I opened up the valve cover and it seems that everything is working the way it ought to.

Every once in a while, when I am trying to start out slowly, the motor will kick hard in the opposite direction for a moment, as if it caught reverse for a brief second, or the motor dieseled backwards or something.

This cart was running okay before last week . . . it was pretty touchy (needed a lot of choke), but once it got going, it was great.

I'm at my wits end with this cart! Can anyone help me with this?
JoeVR5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 backfiring, no power . . . confusing!

A low cost effort is take the carb off and clean it using a set of torch cleaners.
Those low speed jets can have gum in them and you say you had to use a lot choke.

DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
JoeVR5
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G9 backfiring, no power . . . confusing!

Thanks for the tip!

I took the carburetor apart twice -- once for a basic cleaning, and the second time for a more in-depth cleaning . . . removed all the jets and everything looked pretty good.

Still popping and bucking and never actually firing . . . sometimes kicks backwards for a moment.

From looking at one of the parts diagrams, it appears that I don't have a seal to go around the air box. Would it work if I used some foam tape and then strapped it shut again?

Where are all the ground points on this cart?
JoeVR5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha