lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
IslandLiving
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile 36/48v to 12v reducer problem, no accessory power

Hi,
Great forum!
I'm looking for assistance troubleshooting 12 volt accessory problems.
Here is my cart information... 2009 or 2010, EZGo electric cart. 36 volt (6-6 volt batteries) in series and after reading threads in the forum I have determined it is a PDS cart (I have a tow/run switch).

A few weeks ago, for no apparent reason, ALL of the 12v accessories stopped working (strobe, headlights, blinkers, and tail lights). I checked the fuse on the reducer and it was good so I purchased a new 30amp 36/48v to 12v reducer. Prior to connecting I turned the key switch off, set the tow/run switch to tow, and removed the positive & control wires on the solenoid from the batteries (first in series???).
Prior to mounting the new 12v reducer (and to test it before removing the old one riveted in place) I ran the existing wire from the negative battery terminal to the "control" input wire on the reducer (yellow wire) and the positive battery terminal wire to the input positive (red) wire. I tested the 12v wires with my meter and got zero volts. Then, I tested the original wires straight from the battery terminals and got 38.4 volts. What am I doing wrong?
Oh, and this is the second brand new 12v reducer because the same thing happened with the first one. Any help is greatly appreciated.
IslandLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36/48v to 12v reducer problem, no accessory power

You may have shorted it out putting negative to the yellow wire. Instructions call for this to be positive switch wire. Only the black goes to the Negative.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DC reducer forepar.JPG (119.1 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
crash test dummy

Old 05-02-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
IslandLiving
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Wow, thanks ScottyB and Crash Test Dummy! Hope I didn't ruin the reducer!
IslandLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:23 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I take it your old reducer used to work? Is there any chance one of your accessories shorted out, frying you old reducer? All reducers aren't built the same. Economy models aren't always cheaper if they don't last. I bit the bullet and bought mine from ScottyB, even though I could have probably found one a lot cheaper, I find he sells quality products that last.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v accessory, no power, reducer, trouble shooting
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO