lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #21
G1-G9
LIFE IS TAKING FOREVER

Yamaha

Default Re: 93 Yamaha G9/HF Honda Clone 420cc/rebuild almost done!

If you need another carb i think i have one floating around in the garage.
G1-G9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2015, 02:34 PM   #22
DakotaEight
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I apreciate that Tom! I think the carb i have is good. Its a tuned carb from the site affiliated with this site. I think. lol But i did find a leak at the exhaust gasket and im going to replace that first and then if it doesnt help im going to jet the pilot jet a little more. Thanks again! Lots of good people on this site.
DakotaEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #23
DakotaEight
Getting Wild

Yamaha

yes i got ride of that crappy white spring TheNewGuy....you were right. Its way better with the stock one.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #24
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaEight View Post
yes i got ride of that crappy white spring TheNewGuy....you were right. Its way better with the stock one.
Glad it helped!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #25
DakotaEight
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Well i havent been here in a while due to an atv accident last july and it took my till october to recover and then it was to cold. So now i have been back on it and i found the white spring for the secondary IS a piece of junk as it binded up the sheave bushing and had to replace the bushing and threw the old spring back on. The clutch part is working good. The starter is very slow to turn the engine and stops which makes me have to keep pushing the pedal and it works best when i barely touch the pedal. I have bypassed the pedal switch and run a jumper cable from the battery directly to the starter/generator and still does the same. I cleaned all the wire connections and added a dielectric to the connections. I replaced a blown fuse in the voltage regulator. The ground from the battery goes straight to the starter but no ground to the frame or engine????? The wiring diagram for my 93 G9a showed i wire that correct but still wondering why no ground to engine or frame? Im to a point i think its either the starter/generator or the starter relay. When its running, one of the primary (small wires) on the relay reads only .332 volts.....is that right? The starte/generator i rebuilt last year, cleaned out new brushes etc.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #26
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

12v goes from battery to the key switch then to the pedal switch. So when they are both on you get 12v back to engine where it goes to the start solenoid, the ignitor, and the coil. It fires all those up and it is running. You have to test ground wires back to ground on battery, if it shows voltage that is the resistance you have, so voltage is bad in that case, if it is a good ground there will not be any resistance/voltage from one ground to the main battery ground or very little. You will see voltage in operation if bad testing voltage, you will see more ohms if you test not operating on ohms. In ohms touch your meter leads, any reading higher is your resistance it should be very small ground to ground. Remember the starter will not run if the start relay is not working.

The frame on a G9 is usually not grounded, though I suppose if some accessory was once on the cart it may be. Mine was not. The cradle is supposed to be grounded I read someplace, but I can't find one on mine, I assumed the generator case grounded the cradle but I never tested it. I don't think any of the stock ignition components need a ground on a G2/9, only the gen does and the battery cables does that. Oh wait, duh, the spark plug must have a ground to work, so the block has to be grounded. I assume the gen mount is bolted to the block and that is the ground. I do not recall seeing a ground when I pulled my engine and put the clone in.

If starter is slow first make sure belt is not slipping. After that its usually a connection issue. I've have a lot of trouble with my battery clamps not contacting ever after cleaning, I actually had to file the posts and clamps. Stick a screwdriver between the clamp and post and twist it while you hit the starter, if it sparks and then works you found a bad clamp. I am going to replace them soon. Other connections can also cause issues, bad connectors, and bad grounds because they are all wired and not run through the frame. Have to check those just like the positive wires. There is a pos and neg fuse also. All that good look at the brushes in the starter.

Hope you are doing better, had a friend that crashed his atv on the road and got really messed up. He runs only utv now. Worst part is it was a failure with the atv that caused it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:06 PM   #27
DakotaEight
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Hi Sho! Thanks for the quick response. The only ground for the generator and the engine block are the bolts holding them into the plate which i would assume that would ground them. I dont have a ground from the cradle to the frame but im thinking i will soon. I did clean all my grounds and contacts and have a clean armature with new brushes. I did make sure the brushes seated properly with the spring in place. I was just out there and took the starter relay off an took it apart, and the contact were so caked from arcing all those years. Then a small contact wire broke inside and i noticed how the little copper wire was burnt purple where it broke. So im thinking and hoping it was because of the bad contacts inside my relay. I will have to order one. I see they are running around $60 and i have to wait till wed to order one now. Dang....just when i thought i was gonna be riding again. Why wouldnt a regular old Ford starter relay work?
As far as the pos and neg fuses go, the only fuse i saw was blown and i replaced it to find out it makes my backup horn work....lol I didnt see a fuse inline near the generator or the relay.
One more thing....With the way it starts slow or turns over slow, i occasionally see the engine turn backwards and make a weird noise. I wonder if i also have a problem with the armature in the generator? What do you think? As far as my accident last summer, it was on an atv also and i will never drive one again. Golf carts all the way for me for now on. Smile
Old 05-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #28
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Mine would not start and after hitting the pedal multiple times it would work, then be fine for a bit, then do it again. If it looked bad it likely is bad! You cant use a ford one, this has to be 'constant duty' they are different than car starter momentary solenoids. I looked into it! The ford one works great on my snow plow though.

Not turning over well could be lack of current, I would try a new solenoid and see, then make sure the wires/cables are working well. It should spin fast enough to not do that. Could check the valve lash too but with the problem you found it may just be that.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #29
DakotaEight
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks again Sho!
Old 05-13-2016, 12:39 PM   #30
DakotaEight
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Well....After a very patient 4yrs of rebuilding the G9 its finally up and running for the first time. It starts real quick now thanks to Sho giving me a link for a new voltage regulator and my main issue was the Starter/Generator and i purchased an Hitachi from Ebay and its a perfect match for only $90 NEW. I cant tell you all how happy i am right now. My wife and i have our best memories on that thing and its been way to long. Starting tomorrow morning we will officially have our summer fun back. Thanks to ALL who had so many good posts and ideas. Im going to post some pics and maybe a You-Tube link within a few days so you can see it. Its way better than ever. Enjoy your weekend peoples....I am. Also a special thanks to G1-G9 and Sho.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha