lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #1
april
Not Yet Wild

Default Charger problem? Or???

In Jan of 2015 we bought a new set of Trojan T6 batteries and a new DPI charger.
Over this past winter, we noticed a rotten egg smell. Now, at first we thought it was really a rotten egg (we have fowl and it happens). But after a couple of days we realized it was coming from the golf cart (1999 EZGO). Upon looking at the batteries, they were wet where they had overflowed and the water in the batteries was very low. Now, we had just topped off the water, nothing out of the ordinary, a week or 2 prior to all this. So, a lot had boiled? out.
We had also noticed that the voltage upon turning on the cart from being charged was over 40, where in the past it had always been around 39-40.
So, we topped off the batteries again, plugged it in again and still overflowing. So we went back to our old (stock) charger and it has been fine since.

Ideas? Charger needs repair or battery issue or golf cart having an electrical conniption?
Thanks!
april is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2016, 01:05 AM   #2
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charger problem? Or???

Are you useing the right charging profile for your brand batteries?
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:06 AM   #3
april
Not Yet Wild

It was supposed to be set for the T6's from the dealer. And it worked fine for a year. How do I check?
Old 06-24-2016, 07:33 AM   #4
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by april View Post
.... We had also noticed that the voltage upon turning on the cart from being charged was over 40, where in the past it had always been around 39-40.
So, we topped off the batteries again, plugged it in again and still overflowing. So we went back to our old (stock) charger and it has been fine since.
This sounds like a charger issue... Record some data such as highest voltage during charge cycle, float voltage etc and contact and DPI for a solution...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:50 AM   #5
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
It was supposed to be set for the T6's from the dealer. And it worked fine for a year. How do I check?

It tells in the manual. The settings are under the little black cover on the front of the charger held on by 2 small screws.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:38 PM   #6
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:

Ideas? Charger needs repair or battery issue or golf cart having an electrical conniption?
Thanks!

FWIW - Batteries overflowing is the result of overfilling the batteries . Before charging, you should only make sure the plates are all covered with acid (do not add water at this time), then proceed with charging. After charging is complete, then check and add water if necessary. Do not overfill. Also, check the "on charge" voltage just prior to the end of charge. 36 Volt Trojans should be in the 44-46 volt range at that time. Hope this helps - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:27 PM   #7
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
So, we topped off the batteries again, plugged it in again and still overflowing.
When you say "top off the batteries" what do you mean? I've always heard that you look down the hole and fill till the level is just touching the lip. There should be some slits in the sides that will let gas get to the vent. If you fill it higher then the slit, I can virtually garentee it will blow water/acid out.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:58 AM   #8
april
Not Yet Wild

OK, this past week we checked the water, they are all full to about half inch over the plates. We used it as normal, using the old Powerwise. When it worked (it doesn't charge sometimes- that's why we bought the new one) it would charge to 40 (per volt meter installed on cart). No problem, did it all week. We switched to the DPI and in one day it charged to 41.8 and the batteries were bubbling and overflowing and smelled like rotten eggs.

I am thinking that there is something wrong with the charger.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:15 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

42v during charging is not a red flag. Can you remove the black plate in front and tell us what MODE the charger is set to.
Note that mode 2 is set to turn off at 2.35vpc (volts per cell) times 18 cells = 42.3 volts.
All other modes are higher.
I suspect that one battery is not taking the charge well and letting the others to make up the total voltage to reach the cut off.
Please give a voltage reading for each of the 6 batteries.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:30 AM   #10
april
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
42v during charging is not a red flag. Can you remove the black plate in front and tell us what MODE the charger is set to.
Note that mode 2 is set to turn off at 2.35vpc (volts per cell) times 18 cells = 42.3 volts.
All other modes are higher.
I suspect that one battery is not taking the charge well and letting the others to make up the total voltage to reach the cut off.
Please give a voltage reading for each of the 6 batteries.
OK, shall we use a volt meter or a load tester? And which charger? The one I think is under charging or the one I think is over charging? LOL!

I will check the mode, however it should be correct as I remember specifically talking to you about which batteries I was going to use with it when I bought it. Also, it seemed to work perfect for about a year.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO