lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2017, 08:05 AM   #11
SouthCo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default lithium battery questions

When I ordered my pack from evbattery I had Nick include everything I needed. Cable set with Anderson connector connected to the pack. Then another cable set with Anderson connector that I connected to the solenoid and controller.

Couple of pics in my build thread page 3 post #58

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...project-6.html
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #12
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: lithium battery questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banditz View Post
The 100amp continuous draw rating means the c rating of those batteries is not very high. I can draw over that from one of my little 1800mah Rc plane battery packs. At 14.8v..

However not sure just how much our motors pull but the end rush current from flooring it is really think would be much more than the 250 amp rating these can put out short order.
I am wondering this as well. The controller is rated much higher than the battery pack making the pack the limiting factor. Would it be safe to assume that using a 400A controller with a battery that is rated for 250 is wasted money? Does the pack have built in protection to limit the current or is it limited by the cables and 175A Anderson connection?
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #13
Banditz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
I am wondering this as well. The controller is rated much higher than the battery pack making the pack the limiting factor. Would it be safe to assume that using a 400A controller with a battery that is rated for 250 is wasted money? Does the pack have built in protection to limit the current or is it limited by the cables and 175A Anderson connection?
The connectors will be the first thing I'd be worried about melting. We cut off the connectors and solder our own on for that purpose alone.

As far as built in protection, all depends on the manufacture. I know that lipo's in general have no such protection. You pull more than the battery can handle it heats up.. will "Puff" up and explode if given to much abuse. Wanna see the power locked in a lipo YouTube it... very dangerous. But the main thing that I want to know in this is how they balance the pack out? How large the ESC is, and when in the world are they gonna bring out kick butt brushless motors for us in golf carts!! Lipo's rock..... but brushless motors are where the real power is gained! The main gain you get from Lipos is weight loss. The main gain you get from brushless is MO POWA!! Lol plus much higher efficiency!!
Banditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #14
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Brushless motors in EZGO RXV since 2008. Yamaha since 2016.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:00 PM   #15
SouthCo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
The 100amp continuous draw rating means the c rating of those batteries is not very high. I can draw over that from one of my little 1800mah Rc plane battery packs. At 14.8v...

I'm no battery expert but what kind of rc battery do you run in your rc plane? My sons and I race RC 1/10 buggies. We run brushless motors and batteries that are 11.1v 5000mah lipo packs and they are only 30c. Not sure we can compare little rc packs to bigger 48v+ packs...
Old 05-17-2017, 09:06 PM   #16
SouthCo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
As far as built in protection, all depends on the manufacture. I know that lipo's in general have no such protection.

No batteries have built in protection. Our little rc vehicles can be equipped with ESCs that can protect our lipo packs. The bigger lipo packs for the golf carts can be equipped with a BMS that protects the pack from over discharging and over charging.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:52 PM   #17
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

The ESC's in RC applications only prevent the vehicle from continuing to run so that the lipo pack doesn't go below critical voltage. Once the pack is discharged too far it can be damaged sometimes to the point of no return. The real protection in RC is in the charging system, which balance charges each individual cell so that no one cell overcharges and causes the puffiness and fire you see on YouTube, similar to the BMS systems for EV's and here in golf cart applications. Just make sure the controller is programmed to cut off at a certain voltage recommended by the manufacturer with some "fluff" added to it and the BMS wired in correctly and you should have something that is safer than flooded lead acid.

Curious about the amperage draw question, though.
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #18
Banditz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
I'm no battery expert but what kind of rc battery do you run in your rc plane? My sons and I race RC 1/10 buggies. We run brushless motors and batteries that are 11.1v 5000mah lipo packs and they are only 30c. Not sure we can compare little rc packs to bigger 48v+ packs...
I'm running 6s- 12s packs. The planes I fly weigh anywhere from 55-80lbs..

LIPO batteries are one in the same. Period. If it's a lithium cell, not a life or li poly, then yes. They are the same. Size doesn't matter at all.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #19
Banditz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
No batteries have built in protection. Our little rc vehicles can be equipped with ESCs that can protect our lipo packs. The bigger lipo packs for the golf carts can be equipped with a BMS that protects the pack from over discharging and over charging.

Ok, so the BMS stands for what? Is it some kind of esc or Bec ?
Thanks for agreeing with the same statement I made in your quote.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #20
Banditz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyous View Post
The ESC's in RC applications only prevent the vehicle from continuing to run so that the lipo pack doesn't go below critical voltage. Once the pack is discharged too far it can be damaged sometimes to the point of no return. The real protection in RC is in the charging system, which balance charges each individual cell so that no one cell overcharges and causes the puffiness and fire you see on YouTube, similar to the BMS systems for EV's and here in golf cart applications. Just make sure the controller is programmed to cut off at a certain voltage recommended by the manufacturer with some "fluff" added to it and the BMS wired in correctly and you should have something that is safer than flooded lead acid.

Curious about the amperage draw question, though.

Great! Thank you!! So this BMS is basically s ESC with another name then, ok good. Then as to the question asked earlier about the max amp draw.... it will be limited by whatever the amp rating of the BMS is. No matter anything else in the circuit. Just like if you max out the motor but still have the stock controller.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car