lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2017, 06:49 AM   #1
cjpenny89
Gone Wild

Default 2001 DS hard to steer

Ok started to work on my sons cart and noticed that it steers rough like I can feel bumps or rough spots when turning the wheel. It did this before and after changing from stock to a front lift.
Could the rack and pinion have a bad spot in it? I was also wondering if the bearings in the steering column are bad causing the feeling I am feeling? It really feels like bearing drag like a bad spot on a bearing when you turn the wheel. Has anyone felt this in there steering and what was it?
Thanks
cjpenny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2017, 06:56 AM   #2
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2001 DS hard to steer

More than likely the steering knuckle U-joint is worn out or rusted stiff, it is a fairly common problem on the older carts. My 03 had the same problem. Give Tahoedog a call and he can hook you up with a new one.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:40 AM   #3
cjpenny89
Gone Wild

ok Thanks I will take a look at that! It was fine one day and then the kids drive it around all the time and I went to drive it and at first I thought the hit something, changed the front end and end with a lift that wasn't it. It happened fairly fast. I will try un-hooking parts and turning them to see if I can eliminate it! I will check the u-joint knuckle first wish I would have looked at that first before I put the front clip back on!
Old 06-06-2017, 08:05 AM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Jack the front end up and lube everything until you find the sticky part. You discribed my cart when I first got it. lube and use will cure it.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:33 AM   #5
cjpenny89
Gone Wild

I have lubed it all plus it has had the factory front end and a lift kit on it and does the same.
#1 can you lube the rack and pinion?
#2 can you lube the bearings in the steering column?
everything else is new or lubed or done it on 2 different front ends so it has to be the steering knuckle, rack and pinion, or steering column.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #6
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I lubed the knuckle joint and all the bushings. After a while it got to feeling a lot better.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car