lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2017, 01:15 PM   #1
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Talk me down from the MOT-A4

Now that I have finished the Alltrax on Lithium conversion, I find myself thinking about replacing the stock motor (who said this wasn't an addiction?) with something that will better maintain speed on the hills. The stock AMD is 3.1HP and I've been lusting over an Admiral MOT-A4 with 12.3 but is this really an apples to apples comparison? Can this motor really have 4x the HP of the stocker? With my 18.25" tall tires, I'm not gaining any top speed but I'd like to be in the 23-25 range without risk of damaging the motor. What kind of torque can I expect? Also, regen braking is mandatory. I did some tests with it turned it off and almost $#!+ myself.

Is there a better motor than this one?
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2017, 05:01 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Talk me down from the MOT-A4

If you have the lithium and more importantly the Alltrax controller (I assume 500 amp) then the A4 is the way to go for hills and torque. The programmable controller is going to let you make all the adjustments you need to tweak it to your liking and they already have maps for this motor. And if you have or get the FNKS then you can have 3 user selectable pre-programmed choices at the turn of a dial, 1- semistock and mild. 2- High torque rock crusher. 3- Wide open speed deamon.

So cannot talk you down, I can encourage you to not hesitate and do it. If I had your setup and needs, me and scottyb or TahoeDawg71 would be dicussing delivery dates..... (j/s)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
1sharphook

I don't believe the A4 will get you 23-25 MPH. The problem I found with the A2 and A4 motors is that they force you to choose either speed or torque.

I highly recommend that you look at the AMD 7144/GG1-4002 motor. It delivers an impressive combination/improvement of both speed and torque and leaves me wanting for nothing more. It will get you 23+ MPH and Alltrax already has a field map for the asking.

The 7144 motor is a great bang for your buck.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:49 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post
I don't believe the A4 will get you 23-25 MPH. The problem I found with the A2 and A4 motors is that they force you to choose either speed or torque.

I highly recommend that you look at the AMD 7144/GG1-4002 motor. It delivers an impressive combination/improvement of both speed and torque and leaves me wanting for nothing more. It will get you 23+ MPH and Alltrax already has a field map for the asking.

The 7144 motor is a great bang for your buck.
The A4 will get you to the upper 20s with the Alltrax XCT control and proper programming in torque or speed mode..

And don't forget to check out the FSIP motors. I'm getting 27.5 mph at 6000 rpms on 18" tires with the XCT 300 - 500 controls.(for less $)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:17 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
I don't believe the A4 will get you 23-25 MPH. -snip-
Oh sure it will easily and more with his Alltrax, again assuming it is the new line and a 500 amp. It is how you program it through the controller. I believe the A4 is a beefier designed motor to allow for the heat and rigors of high amp usage. If not for his statement of hills and torque, I would have suggested the A3 as that one is a speed demon.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:25 PM   #6
1sharphook

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The A4 will get you to the upper 20s with the Alltrax XCT control and proper programming in torque or speed mode..
So if I understand your position here, are you are recommending that the OP run an A4 motor at 6250 RPM?
Old 07-07-2017, 06:28 PM   #7
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'm running the XCT400, Lithium, 2AWG cables and SHD solenoid. Looked at both FSIP and the AMD 7114 but both seemed like 20MPH was max. How do these compare to each other WRT torque? FSIP seems like the only ones that post torque charts. At least that is all I could find easily.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:56 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
So if I understand your position here, are you are recommending that the OP run an A4 motor at 6250 RPM?
You will not get a lot of torque at 6250 rpm. That would be the speed up there, the torque is at the bottom of the RPM range. That is where a high amp controller comes in to play to push the amperage up and give you power.....
Old 07-08-2017, 06:16 AM   #9
1sharphook

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
You will not get a lot of torque at 6250 rpm. That would be the speed up there, the torque is at the bottom of the RPM range. That is where a high amp controller comes in to play to push the amperage up and give you power.....
I understand the relationship between speed and torque. I'm not sold on the concept buying a motor designed for torque, and then compromising that torque running it on a speed map. Can you share your personal driving experience running this A4 torque motor (with a speed map installed) maintaining speed on hills?

As a side note, can you point me to the manufacturers published maximum recommended operating RPM's for this A4 motor? I'm struggling to find this published specification.

Last edited by 1sharphook; 07-08-2017 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: spec request
Old 07-08-2017, 06:50 PM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
I understand the relationship between speed and torque. I'm not sold on the concept buying a motor designed for torque, and then compromising that torque running it on a speed map. Can you share your personal driving experience running this A4 torque motor (with a speed map installed) maintaining speed on hills? On a ~30 degree incline with a gradient deviation of +or- 3% the A4 pulled right up the hill covering about 4 to 6 ft/sec with 4 people on the cart. This was with a 600 amp controller, 400 amp solenoid and 2 gauge wires, 76 degrees Fh, carried by a 6-8 mph tail wind, and no bears in pursuit. When the controller fails, there will be an Alltrax XCT 500 replacing it.
Quote:
As a side note, can you point me to the manufacturers published maximum recommended operating RPM's for this A4 motor? I'm struggling to find this published specification. I can't do that - It is for paid members only. But I have it from a really good source that may or may not be scottyb that 6000 is the agreed upon industry standard. (I would suggest calling Admiral and they can give you all the details you seek and satisfy your concerns)
Got it...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car