lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
87_gt
Not Yet Wild

Default Wrong style ignition switch

Hello all! I have learned a great ton by reading through these forums and an very grateful for the wealth of information here.

I acquired my golf cart from a friend of a friend who was moving and thought it was not worth fixing. There is not a serial plate, however it appears to be around a model year 2000.
It was a bit of a basket case. Had not run in years. Lots of disconnected wires and the ignition switch was unhooked and sitting in the cup holder.

With the help of this site, a multi meter, and a wiring diagram. I got the ignition installed, starter generator and solenoid cleaned and re-assembled and the carb taken apart and cleaned.
I thought I was doing good as the cart wants to start while I have the key in the start position and the accel pedal depressed but then it instantly dies when switched to run. Boggles my mind as all wiring seems to be correct.

My question is a total beginner one. I have never driven a gas golf cart and assumed it was like a car and it would start then sit and idle. After watching some YouTube videos it appears that this is not the case. Do I have the wrong ignition switch? It's A 4 position. Acc,off,run, then spring loaded start... Just like a car...

If I have the incorrect switch, is there a way to make this one work? Could i double up the blue and green ignition wires onto the run terminal?

Assuming this is the wrong switch, I'm confused how the cart still turns over without the gas pedal depressed.

My world had been turned upside down with this Revelation that the golf cart won't just sit and idle. All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
87_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #2
guyboy1970
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Wrong style ignition switch

Welcome to BGW 87!

What kind of cart is i? You say it's a 2000 year model but folks on here may need a little more information on the cart.

I have an 98 ezgo TXT and mine only runs when the pedal is depressed, so I am not help to you but I wanted to let you know that someone should be along soon that can help ya.

Last edited by guyboy1970; 07-21-2017 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: put wrong year model on my cart
guyboy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

take a picture of your key and your ignition. On my cart, I used a lawnmower ignition that is spring loaded to hold it over to start the mower. However on a golf cart all your really need is "on" and "off." the cart shouldn't turn over unless you are pushing the pedal, thats how they are designed (and part of the convenience factor of using the golf cart factory setup as opposed to a regular motor like a briggs and stratton) they will slightly idle if you push the pedal and its not enough for the clutch to engage but it should sit quiet (not running) if you're not pushing the pedal.

I simply used a lawnmower ignition because it was cheap and I could pick one up at the auto parts store quickly. You could literally use a toggle switch if you didn't care about having a key.

All you need to figure out on your switch is which one is the "hot" terminal (where the power comes in from the battery. i think on my lawnmower one it is labeled "BATT") and where the other terminal is that gets juice when you have your key on the "acc" position. thats the only position you need as youll just have to flip your key to the "acc" position and it will get juice, and obviously in the off position nothing will happen.
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:05 AM   #4
87_gt
Not Yet Wild

Thanks everyone for the help!
I was able to successfully wire it up and the cart fired right up. Took it for a ride and it ran great for about 10 minutes, then shut off. It now starts intermittently and After cleaning the connections, I believe it is just a bad battery as there is major voltage drop when I try and start it.

Thanks again
Old 07-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

a major voltage drop could also be indicative of a bad ground somewhere, I'd check all of them at the frame, cradle, engine, etc and clean them up well, that may just solve your problems and it's free
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:39 PM   #6
87_gt
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the suggestion! I cleaned all the grounds and my voltage at rest is 12.4 and jumping around 13.2-13.5 while under load in neutral.

Unfortunately it's about to storm here so I will have to wait for any long test drives until tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO