lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2017, 05:37 AM   #11
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: KF82 to FE290 Swap

Wasn't my cart, but I've worked on one (old Club Car DS) they chose to put a Honda generator engine into. If I remember correctly it was a GX340, but it was a few years ago & I may be wrong on the displacement. It did take some trial and error to find a carburetor that would allow it run correctly. Removed the electric starter and fabricated brackets to mount the original type starter generator. Fabricated exhaust too. I won't say it was the easy way, but it did work.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2017, 09:25 PM   #12
GearHeadDiver
Not Yet Wild

Well,
Have the Mitsubishi MG5800 generator stripped..... just need to pull the stator and (fingers crossed) that the output shaft is the same as the 290 and 82....

I managed to delete all the wiring but retain wiring and the key switch for the electric start...

I will mount the original (KF82) starter/generator....but will not have it hooked to the gas pedal...
I'll keep it in hopes it will maintain the battery(?).... but will use the Mitsubishi electric start and once started, assuming it will sit and idle....
I'll fab up cable or linkage for the gas pedal/ carb for acceleration....

OR..... should I omit the electric starter/key (Mitsubishi) and try to setup as the original (Club Car 82 engine) configuration?

Question... what exactly does the rod from the rear end to the carb linkage (original 82 setup) do?

If any of my assumptions are incorrect or I've missed something, all (helpful) comments are welcomed.
:)
GearHeadDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:41 AM   #13
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you're planning on leaving the KF82's starter/generator in there I would eliminate the Mistzu electric starter. No reason to have both. Many Club Cars use the same starter generator with a "key start" that idles - works just fine. Even if you did use the original unit just for charging it would have to retain the continuous duty solenoid - just to keep the fields energized.
That rod is part of your throttle linkage. The governor (the arm on the rear end that rod goes to) will move that rod, acting against the input from the throttle cable below, to limit throttle action based on rear end/wheel speed. Personally I would toss that whole throttle/governor set up and use a more direct cable arrangement. Almost anything you can come up with would be less clunky than what Club Car put in those KF82's.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #14
GearHeadDiver
Not Yet Wild

Well, The Mitsubishi crank/output shaft taper is smaller than the taper required for the clutch I have (KF82) .... :(

I've seen taper to straight adapters... and straight to taper... but no taper to taper...

Nutz!!
GearHeadDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car