lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2017, 09:16 AM   #21
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: LED Light Bar install help needed

Well from looking at the pic you have a PDS cart with a Run/Tow switch. Should always flip it to Tow before messing with the wires. Does/Did the reverse buzzer work ? If so, does it now ? If not, make sure the cart is Run. If it still doesn't work, flip it to Tow then check the red wire in the harness coming from the back of the charging receptacle at the connection right above the shotgun shell for pack + voltage. If you have voltage there and the voltage is 36+ volts its time to pull the controller cover and dive deeper

As for the lights the two black grounds need to be together as well as the two red positives. If not it will cook something.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #22
drum3rguy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Well from looking at the pic you have a PDS cart with a Run/Tow switch. Should always flip it to Tow before messing with the wires. Does/Did the reverse buzzer work ? If so, does it now ? If not, make sure the cart is Run. If it still doesn't work, flip it to Tow then check the red wire in the harness coming from the back of the charging receptacle at the connection right above the shotgun shell for pack + voltage. If you have voltage there and the voltage is 36+ volts its time to pull the controller cover and dive deeper

As for the lights the two black grounds need to be together as well as the two red positives. If not it will cook something.
The reverse buzzer did work as of last night at 10:30pm when I decided to give it a rest for the night. The tow switch was working as expected.

I had originally installed the grounds and positives together and was only testing them separately after the original install didn't work. Good to know I was doing at least 1 thing right.

Just for clarification, testing for voltage as you mentioned will be on the battery pack positive that is marked in the pic?
drum3rguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:06 AM   #23
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The voltage check I was talking about would be from pack - to the red wire in the harness coming from the charger socket but since your reverse buzzer is working then the controller is getting power so no need to check now.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:15 AM   #24
Dixie Chopper
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum3rguy View Post

Well, that's pretty much what I did...Hopefully I got lucky and nothing crazy happened, but we'll see. There is a pretty reputable shop near me. I may go by and talk to him this afternoon or just have him come pick it up and fix it.
OP, did you figure out what the problem was?
Dixie Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #25
drum3rguy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok, sorry for not replying sooner.

Good news is that it works after unhooking everything and re-installing with the tow switch engaged (or disengaged, whichever term is right...the reverse beeper was off, haha) and letting it sit charging overnight.

I think maybe I just confused my controller by messing around with everything and just being a doofus.

Bad news is, I think I have negatively affected one of the batteries I tapped into a lot more than the other one. After we got it working I took the family out for a test ride after dark and it worked well. The only downside I saw is when we put a little bit of a load, like taking off or pulling a slight incline, the light dimmed a little but I guess this is normal.

But after getting back home, I noticed a hot battery smell, and one of the batteries I was hooked to on the neg terminal was pretty warm. Not too hot to touch, but significantly warmer than the others.

So, I think I am just going to get an aux battery to run the lights. I just don't want to chance more damage to the battery bank.

The kids have a spare powerwheels 12v battery laying around. Would that work to run just an led light bar?

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:35 AM   #26
Scoots
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default LED Light Bar install help needed

Are you hooking the negative wire of your switch and lights to the 6th battery negative or the second battery?

By reading earlier, it sounded like you were putting the negative on the negative of the second battery in the series of the batteries.

The reason why your lights are dimming is due to the motor taking juice, this is why a 12v reducer is the best way to wire anything 12v in a cart, then you get a constant 12v all the time.
Scoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #27
drum3rguy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Positive to the 1st battery in the bank, and negative on the 2nd, for both the switch and the light.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #28
Scoots
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

By your pic, the battery you have labeled as positive is 36v power. The one you have labeled as negative, is NOT a negative! It is the series of the batteries leading up to get the 36v. It’s a positive wire, not negative wire. The battery to the left of your labeled positive battery, that does not have a cable connected to any other batteries is your negative post
Old 10-09-2017, 09:04 AM   #29
drum3rguy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
By your pic, the battery you have labeled as positive is 36v power. The one you have labeled as negative, is NOT a negative! It is the series of the batteries leading up to get the 36v. It’s a positive wire, not negative wire. post
I thought if I hooked up to the negative on the left, it would be 36v. Everything I read said to hook up to the positive on one battery and then the negative on the next battery. I used a meter and made sure that the two posts I ran to only measured 12v. I verified that each battery added 6v by holding the meter on the positive of the first and going around to each negative post.

Quote:
The battery to the left of your labeled positive battery, that does not have a cable connected to any other batteries is your negative
That battery is connected to the battery next to it. The wire is back under the body. So you're saying to hook to the positive I have labeled and the negative that is to the left of it? I would think that would definitely be 36v....
Old 10-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #30
Scoots
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

The battery in your left starts the series from 6v then going up. The battery on your bottom right is the 36v total.

So for your red wire is correct by being on the second battery on the left side. The ground needs to be on the bottom left battery, that’s the only ground in the series of batteries. I’ll attach your pic of the post I circled where your negative needs to be hooked up to
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO