lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
Jamslights
Not Yet Wild

Default Running way hot and slows right down

I was hoping to get some help from the very knowledgeable people on this board.

I have a 1999 Club Car DS Gas cart. I just did a full rebuild of the body, seats, etc. Once I completed it, I took it for a ride and after about 1-2 minutes of normal use, the engine compartment gets scalding hot, so much so that the body is very warm/hot to touch. What I have done so far to try a fix. Also at this point the cart slows down and has very little speed. I put it away very quickly each time this occurs. I am not sure if it was overheating before I bought it and rebuilt it.

1. Removed the carburetor, cleaned it all out, replaced the float chamber gasket and replaced the insulator gasket, carb to throttle gasket, throttle to carb gasket and the muffler gasket. I emptied the gas tank and put in 91 octane fuel, all brand new fuel lines, new fuel filters, new vent lines, new air filter, oil change and oil filter.

2. I checked the muffler and there is air pumping out of the tailpipe. The muffler was very rusty, so I sanded it and sprayed it with high heat spray paint.

3. I don't see any oil or fluids leaking.

4. Removed the shroud and the fins are all clear of debris.

I do have a heat gun, so I can check specific temps if I need to.

I have read a ton of thoughts such as issues with ignitor, coil, magnito, (are any of these the same thing), flywheel clogged, blocked air duct, bad muffler, timing off, fuel/air mixture.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I should do to figure out the issue? Suggestions, thoughts, etc?

Also is there any way to test an ignitor, etc? I hate to spend tons of money to fix it, only to find out it doesn't fix the issue. I am already several K into this, so I am at the end of my repair budget, lol.

Thank you all!
Jamslights is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #2
Jamslights
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Running way hot and slows right down

This is a new plug I put in before I did all the carb work etc. this doesn’t look good. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00EA22F9-F9D6-4257-8C81-17085E1522CE.jpg (83.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
Jamslights
Not Yet Wild

I took my ignition coil off and did a ohm meter test. It tests at 7.81. I’ve read most coils should be about 5 or less. I tried to find proper ohms for this part in my manual but had no luck. Does anyone know if this is outside normal range?
Old 06-16-2018, 12:30 PM   #4
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

My 1st thought seeing the new plug is there is way too much carbon for a new plug. That black is carbon? not oil?

Most common cause would be carb adjustment. could also be air restriction in or at air box. Generally a rich running engine does not create heat but a lean running engine will. Is that the correct heat range plug for that engine? Also if the timing is retarted that will create heat.

With the engine running does the fan have a strong suction pulling air to engine?

I would also try this. With engine cold turn the engine over by hand at the front clutch, run engine till hot and not making power, shut off and again turn engine over by hand, may need a pair of gloves. Does the engine turn over harder when hot? Is something trying to lock up when hot ??
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:30 PM   #5
Jamslights
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead1956 View Post
My 1st thought seeing the new plug is there is way too much carbon for a new plug. That black is carbon? not oil?

Most common cause would be carb adjustment. could also be air restriction in or at air box. Generally a rich running engine does not create heat but a lean running engine will. Is that the correct heat range plug for that engine? Also if the timing is retarted that will create heat.

With the engine running does the fan have a strong suction pulling air to engine?

I would also try this. With engine cold turn the engine over by hand at the front clutch, run engine till hot and not making power, shut off and again turn engine over by hand, may need a pair of gloves. Does the engine turn over harder when hot? Is something trying to lock up when hot ??
Yes definitely carbon. I think I may order a new carburetor.

I will look into the other suggestions and see. I did a Temp Test on my muffler. Not sure if normal but one end of the barrel is about 190 degree and th other is 295. Would that be normal to have such a heat difference between ends of th muffler? Or does this indicate a bad muffler/baffles?

I also tested the coil ignition and it shows 7.8k ohms. Not sure if that is high or in normal range.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #6
Jamslights
Not Yet Wild

Ok, so $118 later for a nice new coil ignition and ahhhh same issue. Would anyone be willing to check their exhaust manifold temp and then temp on exhaust on top front of barrel closet to front of cart then again on back top of barrel furthest to back?

Thank you,
Old 06-22-2018, 02:17 PM   #7
Jamslights
Not Yet Wild

Update: So I decided since I was already deep into this cart, I might as well go all in. Lol, So here’s what I did.

Replaced:
Ignition coil
Carbuerator
Fuel pump
Exhaust muffler
Replaced the cylinder head
Removed and took all the carbon off of the valves and polished them
New gas cap
New fuel lines
Painted the shrouds

And after all this, the cart is working wonderfully! The only issue is I adjusted my throttle cable to get more speed, and now the limiter is kicking in. I will dial that back just enough to avoid hitting the limiter.

Yahoo!!!

Thanks for some of the guidance in this and my other posts!
Old 06-23-2018, 06:22 PM   #8
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Well good to see you got it running!

You thru a bunch of parts at it,
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car