lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2019, 08:21 PM   #11
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help an old fool out with his TXT

No, it means that power is getting to and passing through the solenoid... Your controller is supposed to connect the negative small terminal to pack negative in order to activate the solenoid. You can jumper it to pack negative yourself to test it and see if it clicks and passes pack + to the controller B+ terminal. Make sure to jumper the correct terminal, because otherwise you'll burn out any microswitches in the path...
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2019, 09:09 PM   #12
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think he said it was a series cart. If so and he has voltage on the small post to the solenoid, it should click if the solenoid is good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
No, it means that power is getting to and passing through the solenoid... Your controller is supposed to connect the negative small terminal to pack negative in order to activate the solenoid. You can jumper it to pack negative yourself to test it and see if it clicks and passes pack + to the controller B+ terminal. Make sure to jumper the correct terminal, because otherwise you'll burn out any microswitches in the path...
Sent from my SM-T377R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:48 PM   #13
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray70 View Post
I think he said it was a series cart. If so and he has voltage on the small post to the solenoid, it should click if the solenoid is good.

Sent from my SM-T377R4 using Tapatalk
That is what I'm thinking.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:48 PM   #14
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BigBlock View Post
Back on the TXT. I have jumped the ignition switch, jumped the micro switch (broken roller) in the pedal box, and jumped the reed switch in the charger receptacle. I have pack voltage on the small posts of the solenoid. Based on Orangeman6's earlier post, am I correct in assuming the solenoid is bad?
He typed posts, not one post... Hence my response was based upon what was typed. If there is B+ on both posts, then there is missing B-. So the solenoid cannot activate, likely a bad B- connection instead of a bad solenoid. Not a lot of those old controllers are still in operation. If the controller was upgraded, the wiring may differ a bit from the diagram.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:11 AM   #15
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Back on the TXT. I have jumped the ignition switch, jumped the micro switch (broken roller) in the pedal box, and jumped the reed switch in the charger receptacle. I have pack voltage on the small posts of the solenoid. Based on Orangeman6's earlier post, am I correct in assuming the solenoid is bad?
If you have voltage on the + side small terminal, run a wire from pack neg. to the other post. If it clicks, the problem is at B- as Bob has suggested.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #16
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
He typed posts, not one post... Hence my response was based upon what was typed. If there is B+ on both posts, then there is missing B-. So the solenoid cannot activate, likely a bad B- connection instead of a bad solenoid. Not a lot of those old controllers are still in operation. If the controller was upgraded, the wiring may differ a bit from the diagram.
I just thought that you were thinking it was a sepex drive when you said the controller was responsible for sending the B- to the solenoid.
I'll clarify my comment. If he has voltage "between" the two small post on the solenoid when the pedal is pressed, and the solenoid doesn't click, then I would suspect a bad solenoid. It's not it could be missing the B-.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #17
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks for all the help. I will watch my wording. Here are my findings.:

With the reed switch jumped, micro switch in pedal box jumped (broken actuator), and the key switch on, I have pack voltage across the 2 small terminals on the solenoid.

If I take the jumper off the micro switch in the pedal box, I have nothing at the solenoid.

If I run a jumper from the negative side of the pack to the negative side of the solenoid, I get nothing.
Pressing the pedal makes no difference.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:19 PM   #18
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks for all the help. I will watch my wording. Here are my findings.:

With the reed switch jumped, micro switch in pedal box jumped (broken actuator), and the key switch on, I have pack voltage across the 2 small terminals on the solenoid.

If I take the jumper off the micro switch in the pedal box, I have nothing at the solenoid.

If I run a jumper from the negative side of the pack to the negative side of the solenoid, I get nothing.
Pressing the pedal makes no difference.
You need a new pedal micro switch for sure, I also think your solenoid is bad. With the rear wheels off the ground, jump across the large terminals of the solenoid with a heavy gauge battery cable to see if the wheels will turn.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:23 PM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

To be sure and clear - remove the pre-charge resistor. Any way you like supply positive to one small solenoid post and negative to the other small solenoid post. The solenoid should have CLICKED and closed.
Before the click 48v (or 36) at one big post ( cable connecting to the battery pack)
After the click 48v (or 36) at both big posts

If yes to all conditions above the solenoid is okay fix the activation circuit starting with the bypassed pedal switch.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #20
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray70 View Post
You need a new pedal micro switch for sure, I also think your solenoid is bad. With the rear wheels off the ground, jump across the large terminals of the solenoid with a heavy gauge battery cable to see if the wheels will turn.

I've got a micro switch on the way. That is another issue I'm going to have to deal with. I initially replaced the switch and because of misalignment it immediately broke when the pedal was pushed the first time. I've looked at scottyb's sticky on ITC internal adjustment. Since there is voltage across the solenoid coil, I can't see any other conclusion except bad solenoid.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO