lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2018, 03:17 PM   #1
Cheeeco
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV Over Charging

Batteries seem to be overcharging. When on charge they makes more noise than normal and smell really bad. Plenty of water. Have tried both chargers. Both do the same. Not sure what could be causing this. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheeeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2018, 03:26 PM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Over Charging

How high are they charging? Should be between 60 - 66 volts.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Also, how old are the batteries?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #4
Cheeeco
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkredman View Post
Also, how old are the batteries?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Batteries are 2 years old

Old 10-01-2018, 04:06 PM   #5
Cheeeco
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
How high are they charging? Should be between 60 - 66 volts.

I’ll check voltage this evening

Old 10-01-2018, 10:33 PM   #6
Cheeeco
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeeco View Post
I’ll check voltage this evening

Reading 52 volts. Is this too low?
Do I have a problem with chargers?Batteries? On occasion the cart will slow down to a crawl. Well Stop cart turn key on/off and all goes well. Thanks.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:02 AM   #7
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Attached is a charging chart for Trojan batteries. Other battery manufacturers might vary slightly in charging voltage requirements.

At 52 volts you are very low ... charging should be in the 59.3 to 64.8 volt range depending on what stage of charging you are in.

To start your troubleshooting, record the charging voltage again of the entire pack and of each individual battery. Any big variation between batteries would likely indicate a problem with one or more battery.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trojan Charger Voltage Settings.JPG (55.7 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:28 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I don't think that we are getting correct readings, the reading have to be done at the end of the charge cycle while the charger is still running, that means you have to babysit it. if the charger only getting up to 52 volts during the charge cycle you have huge battery problems. You will have to babysit it while it's still charging to get the readings to determine if it is "overcharging". You will also need to get each individual battery voltage reading during this time. If you can't do this, just send it to the shop. Without good detailed info, we can do nothing. We will need readings to the second decimal point for each battery. Like 15.xx for each 12v battery during the end of the charge cycle. If you can't at least reach 14.65v for each 12v battery, you are not reaching minimum for full charge for Trojan batteries (their full charge is lower than some other brands). This does NOT immediately indicate a faulty charger. Bad batteries often can't reach the voltage needed for full charge. You have not disclosed what type or brand of batteries we are dealing with. These figures are generally applicable to other voltage batteries if scaled correctly. (Don't expect your T-875 to see 15v, but we don't know what you have).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:32 AM   #9
Cheeeco
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I don't think that we are getting correct readings, the reading have to be done at the end of the charge cycle while the charger is still running, that means you have to babysit it. if the charger only getting up to 52 volts during the charge cycle you have huge battery problems. You will have to babysit it while it's still charging to get the readings to determine if it is "overcharging". You will also need to get each individual battery voltage reading during this time. If you can't do this, just send it to the shop. Without good detailed info, we can do nothing. We will need readings to the second decimal point for each battery. Like 15.xx for each 12v battery during the end of the charge cycle. If you can't at least reach 14.65v for each 12v battery, you are not reaching minimum for full charge for Trojan batteries (their full charge is lower than some other brands). This does NOT immediately indicate a faulty charger. Bad batteries often can't reach the voltage needed for full charge. You have not disclosed what type or brand of batteries we are dealing with. These figures are generally applicable to other voltage batteries if scaled correctly. (Don't expect your T-875 to see 15v, but we don't know what you have).

Awesome feedback from you guys. I’ll take reading and get back to you. Thanks again

Old 10-02-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeeco View Post
When on charge they makes more noise than normal and smell really bad.
If by smelling bad you mean rotten egg smell, you have a serious battery problem. At minimum one bad battery. Check voltages after a charge and after the batteries have rested over night. Find the battery with Low Voltage(s).

Chances are, and I would bet on it, you have a battery with a shorted cell, possible more. This will fool the charger into thinking the charge cycle has not completed because with a shorted cell, the voltage never gets high enough soon enough. Thus you go into severe over charge and it smells like Rotten Eggs. It can and will destroy all the batteries if you ignore it and let it go.

Cart shops and mechanics love that Rotten Egg Smell, it means big bucks.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO