lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #1
buckeyejudge
Getting Wild

Default PDS won't go when cold.

My cart runs fine when its warm, but when it gets cold, depressing the pedal gets the solenoid to click, but the cart won't move. If I do this a few times, eventually it may move. It does this forward or reverse. Ive replaced the solenoid and I've bypassed the reed switch. I swapped the throttle in the pedal assembly and bypased the micro switch down there as well. I tested and confirmed there's no voltage at the motor when its doing this. So, I'm gonna bypass the key switch and the Forward/Reverse switch tonight.
Any other thoughts? Anything you suggest I check? Has anyone experienced something like this before?

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
buckeyejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: PDS won't go when cold.

Nothing like that. I did have an electronic A/V switch, that quit working. I hot glued a resister of the right size, based on voltage (forget whether it was 5 or 12 volts inside), and the small amount of heat kept it running for years.

Does your controller have LEDs that could give you a code you could lookup? A while back, my AXE gave me an undertemp error.

Though not a real fix, I'd try putting a heating pad, or a light stand near the controller, and see if that gets it going on cold mornings. It likely will keep going if this works, as it will heat itself up once it's running.

Again, not a fix, but could avoid a premature replacement.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #3
buckeyejudge
Getting Wild

Its a stock controller, no LED, although I can put it in troubleshooting mode (if I can remember how) and see it that gives me any info...

Old 01-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You did not define "cold", but it may be a frozen solenoid.

The "Clicking" sound does not necessarily mean the Solenoid contacts closed, try warming up the solenoid with a heat gun.

You can also measure the voltage between the solenoid big posts to make sure it is 0v when the Solenoid clicks.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:04 PM   #5
buckeyejudge
Getting Wild

I replaced the solenoid and the issue persists. I have a dozen PDS carts that don't have this issue, so the odds that it's a frozen solenoid are pretty low I'd think.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:29 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

How to get into diagnostics is in the text at the bottom of the PDS label on the controller cover (attached).

----------
The fact the solenoid is clicking, pretty much eliminates the run/tow switch, the reed switch, the keyswitch, the F/R switch, the pedal switch and the solenoid coil. That leaves the high current circuit, medium current circuit (field) and the throttle circuit.

----------

When you say there is no voltage at the motor, do you mean all four studs?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Label on Controller Cover.JPG (142.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:43 PM   #7
buckeyejudge
Getting Wild

Thank you for the diagnostic image, I've saved that.
Regarding testing the voltage at the motor, I put a voltage lead one each of the big wire leads. When I hit the gas and the solenoid clicked, I got no voltage at the motor. If you have a more in depth testing procedure, I'm happy to try it. I'll try anything at this point.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:11 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

In general terms, if the solenoid clicks the problem is in the high current circuit and if it doesn't, the problem is in the solenoid activation circuit.

Put on jackstands so half ton cart doesn't run over somebody or something.

Your solenoid clicks, so connect a DVM between the controller's B- and M- (marked A! on PDS controllers) terminals. Press pedal just far enough to make solenoid click and you should see full battery pack voltage, 38.2V or more when fully charged.

If not, trace the high current circuit from M- (A1) back to the main B+ on the battery pack.

If so, press pedal to floor and voltage ought to decrease to near zero.

If not, check the throttle input to controller.

-----------------

Since it is a temperature related intermittent problem, unplug all the plugs on the controller, spray clean and reconnect. That occasionally solves weird problems.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:54 PM   #9
buckeyejudge
Getting Wild

So, I did something I should have done a long time ago. I put the cart in diagnostic mode and got the 3-1 code. "Solenoid driver fail". So may have to swap controllers, or do you think spray cleaner might help or anything else to try?

Old 01-16-2019, 07:03 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Do you get this code when it's running OK, or just when it's "too cold" to run? Maybe keeping it warm will make the Solenoid Driver happy? Just like car and truck block heaters, maybe it just needs a HD heating jacket of some sort on the controller.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO