lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-24-2019, 09:34 AM   #11
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: 2013 RXV - 6 month old batteries not holding charge?

The reducer the OP has I've seen actually explode under load taking out the controller. They don't handle an awful lot and can drain batteries as it runs whether the accessories are in use or not.

30-amp switched reducer is the way to go. It allows expansion later should you choose to use a radio or under body lights or such. Plenty of usable load. RXVs don't play friendly with lights/accessories hooked to one battery or a reducer that takes 2 and makes 12v out of it (16 to 12 v reducer) as it creates an unbalanced battery SoC
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #12
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

If the little 120 Watt reducer is left on all of the time, it will cause the battery pack to drain. Even with the lights off. Those reducers are of low quality and low efficiency. They draw way more idle current than the higher cost 20A or 30A reducers. If you rewire it to draw its power from the controller B+ side of the solenoid, that will stop the parasitic power loss when the key is off.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:06 PM   #13
drhill
Not Yet Wild

I'm recharging without the reducer hooked up now. Seems like we found the issue. Glad this post is up here to save others the potential hassle. I'll be buying the better reducer.

You guys are on point with the advice and help!
drhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Well worth the price of admission.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:07 PM   #15
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have my cheap reducer wired to the solenoid would I still be better off getting the more expensive reducer to help my battery life? hopefully this reducer hasn't ruined the batteries
wingnut2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #16
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill View Post
I'm recharging without the reducer hooked up now. Seems like we found the issue. Glad this post is up here to save others the potential hassle. I'll be buying the better reducer.

You guys are on point with the advice and help!
Old 01-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #17
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut2000 View Post
I have my cheap reducer wired to the solenoid would I still be better off getting the more expensive reducer to help my battery life? hopefully this reducer hasn't ruined the batteries
???????
Old 01-24-2019, 09:52 PM   #18
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut2000 View Post
???????
You should be Ok since you said that you have yours wired to the solenoid. They do tend to draw about 25% more than the better ones while operating, but at least there is no parasitic drain all of the time when the key is off. I've bought a few of those 120W reducers for carts with simple LED light kits. On the newer RXV I will be building, I will be using the factory E-Z-GO 30 Amp reducer and reducer harness that I bought to go with the Accessory harness.

The 2Five I bought has an onboard QuiQ charger with built-in 30 Amp reducer. I have yet to test it, weather here has been either wet or icy for a long time.

Bob
Old 01-24-2019, 10:44 PM   #19
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
You should be Ok since you said that you have yours wired to the solenoid. They do tend to draw about 25% more than the better ones while operating, but at least there is no parasitic drain all of the time when the key is off. I've bought a few of those 120W reducers for carts with simple LED light kits. On the newer RXV I will be building, I will be using the factory E-Z-GO 30 Amp reducer and reducer harness that I bought to go with the Accessory harness.

The 2Five I bought has an onboard QuiQ charger with built-in 30 Amp reducer. I have yet to test it, weather here has been either wet or icy for a long time.

Bob
They draw 25% when driving cart with no accessories on or only when they are on
Old 01-24-2019, 11:10 PM   #20
BigOL3
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
You should be Ok since you said that you have yours wired to the solenoid. They do tend to draw about 25% more than the better ones while operating, but at least there is no parasitic drain all of the time when the key is off.
Bob
I have the same 10amp reducer, for only the past week. I just installed a volt meter in the dash. Today I backed the cart out of the shop to clean the shop out. It sat outside most all day and the volt meter did not show any drop, MoF it climbed up to 51.5 and stayed there all afternoon. I ASSUME if there was a problem, the volts would have been dropping ...... correct???
BigOL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO