lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2019, 08:59 PM   #1
Bigblock460
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default what battery needed for 96 ez go txt

Just picked up a 96 ex go Textron that has no batteries at all in it. Does have axle and electric motor. Is this possibly something fairly simple to add a battery unit too?
Bigblock460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2019, 09:28 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: what battery needed for 96 ez go txt

Any background will help us. Do you know the previous owner? Can you get the dead batteries? You will have to pay a core charge for all six if you can't get them. Are the tires OK? Brakes? Steering? While you wait, grease all zerks, as most carts never get lube, and likely none have had their rear end oil changed.

Here's a great place to start:

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/upgrade-suggestions.html

Then you need to tell us exactly what the cart has. Does it have a controller, FNR (if it's a series), solenoid, interconnecting cables, charger?

Not for performance, but for budgeting, does it have functional tires? Does steering work? Do the brakes stop it

Then you need to decide what you want it to do. If it has a controller, solenoid, and charger, they are likely 36 volts. If you want performance, you'll definitely want to upgrade to 48 volts. Once we know drive type, we can help you balance performance with cost, if that is a concern.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

*If* we assume all else is there in the cart (controller, solenoid, charge port, etc).
Also assuming 36V cart. It could be 48v and if so the below will change a little.

Absolute best case scenario:
You'll need six 6V golf cart batteries and a set of good battery cables. Battery prices vary with brand and how far you are away from the manufacturer but assume you'll spend $115 per battery and another $120 for cables.

If you don't have a charger you will need to buy one, they are not cheap 6/12v car chargers. They're around $250 and up for a decent new one.

This is hopefully all that you have to do.

If you don't want to spend that much $ just to test, you can get three 12v marine batteries. Your range will be complete garbage and the batteries won't live long, but if you want to see if it'll drive around your yard before dropping a grand then that'd be an option.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:49 AM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Another option that would be good in this cart if you are mechanically inclined.... A 250cc or larger motorcycle engine/transmission... It is not plug-and-play but I've done a clone engine swap and there's a whole forum here dedicated to motorcycle engine swaps and Honda clone engine swaps. If I were to do it again I'd go with a motorcycle engine and trans.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
Bigblock460
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks! That's really helpful information! I just picked this cart up on a whim so was just needing to figure out what direction to take with it. Very helpful!
Bigblock460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:29 PM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This forum is really helpful. I'm no expert, but with the help here I took an electric cart and dropped a Honda clone engine in it and it was a blast. Then I took ownership of a 48v TXT and did some minor mods but kept it basically stock until I decided to convert to lithium. This forum was helpful for each of those phases of my cart ownership...

Figure out where you want to go and there's a subforum here to help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO