lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
IRwynn
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Precedent Steering issues

Helping a friend with a 2011 48v Precedent, 5 inch drop spindle lift kit. When driving the cart it felt like it was sliding through turns, would suddenlt shift to one side. I figured it needed an alignment, after finising the alignment I took a ride and it was no better. Looking at the wheels and passender side wheel is toed out quite a bit, re-aligned and then it was toed in too much. Jacked it up and grabbed the wheel to check for play. Found quite a bit in the A arm and front leaf spring bushings. Replaced with all A arm and leaf spring bushing on both sides, with the new bushings and the play is gone. The bushings were cracking and wallowed out.
Align the wheels ride it and while better it is still poor handling Driving the cart the steering always felt hard, it takes some effort to turn the steering wheel. Comparing to my 2011 precedent the steering feels like power vs non-power steering (for those old enough to remember) although I have an A arm lift kit on my cart
Nothing in the front end seems to be loose, I have checked and rechecked all bolts. The problem seems to be on the passenger side only as I do not see the driver side go out of alignment, the passenger wheel it is a noticable toe either in or out. I am thinking the steering rack .
Any suggestions would be welcome.

-Richard
IRwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2019, 07:09 PM   #2
alangsam
Getting Wild

Default Re: Precedent Steering issues

Spindle lifts change the dynamics for the worse vs a arm lifts.
alangsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:02 PM   #3
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would be thinking tie rods or kingpin.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:41 AM   #4
IRwynn
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

With the cart lifted I tried twisting the wheel by grabbing it top and bottom and then by the sides and very little movement, especially after the bushings were replaced. I would expect to see a lot of movemen, yes? The amout of shifing of the passenger wheel is from toe-in to toe-out is excessive. The front end would go from a 1/2 inch toe-in to 1 1/2 inchs toe-out after a ride.
Richard
Old 12-31-2019, 07:18 AM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

My experience with Precedents is that every little thing REALLY matters. Had one, about 10 years old, doing the same thing. Those bushings were a good start, but yes even a little bit of play at the tie rods, king pins, etc can cause what appears to be inches of toe variation. If you've got any noticeable play at the steering rack / inner tie rods - it must be dealt with. The one I did a while ago ended up with bushings, arms, steering rack. I would check it, see movement, replace that part, check it again and find more movement elsewhere that had been lost in the movement of the previous part.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:07 PM   #6
IRwynn
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I made sure everything was tight and little or no play. My Ezgo has way more play but can easily set the toe. I will try swapping the tie rods to see if the problem moves to the drivers side. After that I may have to try a steering rack
Old 12-31-2019, 09:08 PM   #7
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

If everything is tight as you say look for something that is bent. Look close because it won't take a lot of bend to throw you off. The following is just my 2¢. Instead of chasing this and spending a lot of money you will be better off and cheaper in the long run replacing the spindle lift with a double A-Arm lift. Don't ask me how I know that.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car