lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2020, 09:21 AM   #1
fstop
Gone Wild

Default Onward brakes - require more pedal pressure than others ?

I've been through the brakes on both wheels, and other than brake dust (which I cleaned up), everything in there looks brand new on my 2018.

Cleaned the shoes with denatured alcohol - drums too. No grooves or any marks on the drums. After re-assembling there was no change to braking.

Brake linkages are adjusted properly - both brakes begin to grab with just a little pedal pressure, and are not engaged at all when pedal is released.

The brakes work, but seems like you really need to push hard to get them to work. They will lock up if you stand on them, and they do it gradually - no sudden "grab", so I think they probably are working right.

I recently switched to lithium power, so the cart lost 315lbs, which I thought would help a lot in the braking department. While I'm sure it helped, It didn't make much difference in the fact that you have to push harder than I'd like to get them to do much.

Are there any aftermarket brake shoes out there that are a "grippier" material, or any other option to make more friction in there with a given amount of pedal pressure?

I had an EZgo TXT for 20 years, with orig. brakes still in it when I sold it recently, and it's brakes were much more effective and easy to drive with. It had a 27mph speed (and had 6x 8v batteries, so was fairly heavy) and still stopped just fine.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2020, 01:03 PM   #2
Nolagt
Gone Wild

Default Re: Onward brakes - require more pedal pressure than others ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
I've been through the brakes on both wheels, and other than brake dust (which I cleaned up), everything in there looks brand new on my 2018.

Cleaned the shoes with denatured alcohol - drums too. No grooves or any marks on the drums. After re-assembling there was no change to braking.

Brake linkages are adjusted properly - both brakes begin to grab with just a little pedal pressure, and are not engaged at all when pedal is released.

The brakes work, but seems like you really need to push hard to get them to work. They will lock up if you stand on them, and they do it gradually - no sudden "grab", so I think they probably are working right.

I recently switched to lithium power, so the cart lost 315lbs, which I thought would help a lot in the braking department. While I'm sure it helped, It didn't make much difference in the fact that you have to push harder than I'd like to get them to do much.

Are there any aftermarket brake shoes out there that are a "grippier" material, or any other option to make more friction in there with a given amount of pedal pressure?

I had an EZgo TXT for 20 years, with orig. brakes still in it when I sold it recently, and it's brakes were much more effective and easy to drive with. It had a 27mph speed (and had 6x 8v batteries, so was fairly heavy) and still stopped just fine.

I dont recall what its like on my brother n laws ezgo beast48 but on my 18 onward they will lock up and the tires screech to a halt if I smash the brake. I can say for sure it is way harder to turn the steering wheel vs my BIL beast48 cart lol
Nolagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:17 PM   #3
Kordog
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Onward brakes - require more pedal pressure than others ?

I have 2 2020 Onwards. One is lifted the other is not. The lifted one takes more brake pressure to stop then the non lifted. Not much more though.
Kordog is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car