lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2020, 09:05 AM   #1
Jay Miller
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 07 Utility FE290 hard start

After I adjusted lifter spacing the cart starts hard. I also tightened starter belt. It runs so much better but starts so much harder. I cleaned spark plug and sprayed carb w cleaner. Brushes are pretty new on aftermarket starter generator. I do drive it a lot and it has aftermarket carb. It does burn oil but doesn't smoke. Battery voltage is good.

Any suggestions/recommendations would help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Thunder.jpg (203.2 KB, 0 views)
Jay Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2020, 09:58 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 07 Utility FE290 hard start

Welcome :)

Can you clarify "hard start"? That could be the starter not turning, could be it cranking and cranking but not catching, could be it cranks and catches but bogs out... lot of different possibilities depending on your definition of "hard start"

And what did you adjuat the valve clearance to?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If you adjusted the valve clearance it's too tight. Loosen it up just a hair.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:14 PM   #4
Jay Miller
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

It seems like the starter pulley has a hard time forcing the belt around. It does one revolution and stops instead of continuing momentum. I adjusted lifters to .006. Before I adjusted one lifter (passenger side) was very tight. *not sure how else to describe which lifter that is. I also may have not adjusted them at the right starting point. So, if you have a good way of explaining that starting point (point of adjustment) that would be helpful so I can double check. I found the instructions on an online owners manual but maybe I didn't understand how they set the lifters correctly. I moved the belt until both lifters were basically open equally or in the same open position.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
Jay Miller
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Both lifters? Ad I'll ask you the same thing...what is the easy to explain how to put lifters into the correct position to be checked/adjusted?
Old 04-22-2020, 04:11 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Ok. Sounds like it may not have been in the correct position for adjusting them.
That's pretty easy to re-adjust. The engine needs to be at TDC on the compression stroke before adjusting.
Turn the clutch by hand Clockwise until you feel resistance and that will be the start of the compression stroke, continue turning about another 90° clockwise just until you feel that resistance goes away. That is the top of the compression stroke, and is where you want the camshaft to be for lash adjustment.

Valves are Intake and Exhaust. Left side/carburetor side is intake valve. Right side/exhaust pipe side is the exhaust valve. Both should be adjusted to .006". Be careful that the adjuster screw does not turn tighter when tightening the lock nut.

If you're getting a roll up to compression and then not going any further for a few seconds that's usually a sign of low voltage getting to the Starter, or the starter belt is not the correct belt. But if this symptom just started after adjusting the valves I would think it has more to do with low voltage.
Check voltage at the battery while trying to start the engine. It should not go below about 10v while cranking. If it does, the battery may need to be charged, or it could just be weak from age and need to be replaced.
Then check voltage on the White cable at the starter generator while cranking. This should be very close to the same as battery voltage. If it is more than 1 volt difference (9.5v vs 10.5v) than what was a the battery then you have a bad connection or bad cable between the battery and starter.

Check all of the battery cable connections at the battery, at the solenoid, and at the starter generator.
Also check the negative cables from the starter/generator to the frame, and from the frame to the battery. The battery negative cable attached to the frame can be prone to corrosion/rust since it is usually between the battery and frame.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:13 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Great advice
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:54 AM   #8
Jay Miller
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks so much!
So I kinda feel foolish a little. It ended up being the brushes on the starter generator needing replaced. Popped a new set in and it fired right up. Funny thing is they didn't seem that old and the pulley was spinning fine when not under load so I didn't think that could be the cause. Plus, it was running fine and then not and all I did different was mess w lifter spacing. The brushes were cheap China junk I guess. Went through them pretty quickly. Anyways, I learned a lot about the motor and troubleshooting in the meantime. Thanks for the help. PS I did figure out how to position TDC on the compression stroke to measure lifter gap.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:42 AM   #9
Jay Miller
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Update...The starter generator should have been changed. I did notice wear on the commutator and tried to smooth it out the best I could. It chewed/cracked/chipped new brushes in a couple days. I swapped out the generator, installed another set of brushes and off we go! Also learned that you can change the direction of the starter generator by swapping A1 A2 wiring on the side. 2011 BGW thread... THANKS Sams...if you're still around!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car