lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2020, 10:05 AM   #1
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

Default G16-Clutch and Secondary Clutch setups

needs some advice on belt , clutch and secondary clutch issues. Currently I am running a stock rear end and secondary system. I am running a series 6 CVT clutch with a 23 HP Vanguard. Currently I am running a 42 inch belt and i am maxed out on length. I would like to find a 41 inch belt x 1.250 double clog. Cant seem to find one. May need to change my motor mounting platform to give me more room to get into a longer belt. My options seem to increase with a longer belt.

What are my best options for both clutches to run to maximize my power and speed.
Bubsbuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2020, 10:19 AM   #2
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

Default Re: G16-Clutch and Secondary Clutch setups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YoB_hJtwCU

Also still having issues with the cart moving from stopped position. I have to give it quite a bit of gas before it takes off. I am convinced that it has something to do with the main clutch as in when it engages. Seems like i need the clutch to engage at 1100rps not 1800 rpms. (series 6 CVT)
Old 06-08-2020, 05:30 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

You don't want a clutch to engage at 1100, that's idle speed. You'll never get it to operate properly. 1800 is where it needs to be, I could see 1600.

Once you get a softer spring in the secondary and the proper belt it will operate much better. That is, unless something is going on with the primary clutch. A belt that is too long will make it seem jerky on takeoff. Are you sure the belt length you measured is correct? What's the center to center on the pulley bolts?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:32 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Do you have a tach on the cart? What rpm does the engine idle at?
Old 06-08-2020, 07:54 PM   #5
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

Yes I have 2-Tachs. My idle is at 1080-1100. I have a Brad new belt from Vegas Carts. The guy told me that the "42 at the end means that it is 42 inches long. This belt seems to work fine but my motor is all the way forward. I have about 1.5 inches of travel for the motor. I am thinking if I get a 41 inch belt I will be able to scoot my engine back about 1/2 inch which will put me in a sweet spot. Think I am going to go with a kevlar double clog belt more in line of an ATV/UTV belt. The guy said that since its double clogged a 42 double clogged is closer to a 41.5" single clogged because of the extra material on top.

SO you mentioned a softer spring in the secondary clutch. Exactly what does the spring do here. My guess is that it would grip the sides of the belt more or less. But don't I want it to grip the belt tighter to give me more traction and less slip.

My guess is that the secondary pulley is always turning at idle but doesn't have enough force to make the cart move. As I give it more gas it causes the sheave to open and the belt to drop down. This is when it engages and over comes the weight and force of the stopped cart to propel it forward. I just need to make it do this sooner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg belt1.jpg (73.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg belt2.jpg (378.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg belt3.jpg (65.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-09-2020, 06:28 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

The spring in the secondary controls the upshift and backshift. That means if the spring is too tight it will upshift later or slower, keeping it in low gear longer. It also helps release the belt when you let off the throttle, called backshift.

What color spring do you have in the secondary clutch?
Old 06-09-2020, 06:58 AM   #7
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
The spring in the secondary controls the upshift and backshift. That means if the spring is too tight it will upshift later or slower, keeping it in low gear longer. It also helps release the belt when you let off the throttle, called backshift.

What color spring do you have in the secondary clutch?
I have no idea, I painted it last year which was one of the first things I did. My guess is that it is bone stock. What color spring do you suggest? What color spring is everyone else running? Should I try to buy the one spring or just get a kit with all the springs? Also If I change the spring should I go a head and take out the rear "C" clip and put in a spacer instead?
Old 06-09-2020, 03:06 PM   #8
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

The c-clip should be replaced with the splined spacer. You shouldn't need anything more than an OEM 4" spring in the secondary. The one with the tangs, set to B2 or B3. Torque springs of any kind are totally unnecessary with a Vanguard...IMO...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:06 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Can you take a good pic of the spring in the secondary clutch? Maybe we can tell if it's stock or not.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:15 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubsbuggie View Post
My guess is that the secondary pulley is always turning at idle but doesn't have enough force to make the cart move. As I give it more gas it causes the sheave to open and the belt to drop down. This is when it engages and over comes the weight and force of the stopped cart to propel it forward.
This is exactly the way it's supposed to work. What rpm is the primary clutch starting to close? Should be around 1800.

If the secondary is all stock and in good condition, if the primary clutch is new, and belt is new, you should have the primary clutch closing at 1800 and full shift should be around 3200-3500 rpm or so loaded. Full shift is when the primary clutch is fully closed and belt is riding up to the top, and secondary clutch it fully open with the belt riding all the way down in the sheaves. Most 4 stroke golf carts will be set up this way.

If the secondary clutch is a "cut" or "machined" or "heavy duty" aftermarket type, the angle of the sheaves will be different than stock and will change the full shift rpm and characteristics of the shift.

If the secondary spring is larger than stock, the full shift rpm will change, and the "low gear" will hold longer. Sometimes a HD spring will cause full shift to be 4000-4500 rpm, which is screaming.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha