lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2020, 01:49 PM   #1
Peggie Hobbs
Not Yet Wild

Default 1996 ezgo workhorse

Backstory: my boys bought me a EZGO WORKHORSE with a Robin 350 engine. It ran fine, if a little rich, for about a year. This spring it started flooding out, and would not start after running for a bit. It sat for a couple of weeks, wouldn't start, wouldn't make a sound. So, I decided to take it to the only place in town. Started to push it up on the trailer and decided to give it another try. Dang thing started right up! The shop changed the fuel filter, put a new carburator, changed a belt, tried to change to spark plugs, but couldn't find any that fit,put the old ones back in and declared it fixed. I brought it home and it was half stepping like it was running on one cylinder, much worse than when I took it in. I took the spark plugs wires off and reattached them, and it started right up and ran like a rabbit, however, it started smoking, backfiring and would still flood out. Took it back, they cleaned out the gas tank, put new gas in it. It went back to half stepping and they sent it back to me saying that's all they could do. Well, now. I have it at a small engine repair shop now, and the tech is saying something about a tensioner spring being broken. He says the spring is on back order. Is this even a thing? He's had it for a month and I'm beginning to wonder! Thanks!
Peggie Hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2020, 02:08 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1996 ezgo workhorse

Quit taking it to both of those places. Your carb needed a good cleaning, not replaced. The original problem is most likely the valves need to be adjusted.

Ngk plugs are very common and available. You should have gotten your money back.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:47 AM   #3
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

As cart around says, if you still have your old carb, give it a good clean and refit, you have probably had a cheap Chinese one fitted and these are notoriously bad out of the box. next step is to check the valve lash and adjust correctly. the tensioner spring may be for the cambelt tensioner and if the original was broken, could cause symptoms such as you describe as the valves may not time correctly. As to not being able to find suitable spark plugs, that just says everything about that shop! Go get your money back from the first shop!
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:26 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Wow, what a terrible experience. I feel bad for you. It's tough to find good competent mechanics. It does sound like the small engine shop person knows what their doing, and yes, it's likely the timing belt and idler pulley. Here's a pic of the engine with an arrow pointing to the idler pulley assembly. If the idler pulley is bad, it won't put proper tension on the belt which can affect the timing of the engine and cause it to run crappy and not start easily. The belt should also be replaced as part of the repair.

Here's a video of what that same engine and the parts look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-FAaRzjZHU

Also, it's possible that the bearing in the idler pulley can be replaced. Here's a thread talking about that.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=150619
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 295 Robin.jpg (184.1 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:55 AM   #5
Bustinbeards
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I bought my plugs at a local auto parts store. Ngk bpr4es plugs are readily available if you have any auto parts stores around.
Bustinbeards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:32 PM   #6
ggroff
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

"couldn't find any that fit"

Translation:
Didn't have any laying around on the bench.
ggroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO