lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2020, 03:30 PM   #1
NoTyme
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default rustproofing the frame

I am looking at a new E-Z-Go that has basically the TXT frame. has anyone good knowledge of the frame and if the ability to rustproof with Fluid Film possible?
NoTyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2020, 12:43 AM   #2
reeseman44
QualityCarts

Club Car

Default Re: rustproofing the frame

Truck bed liner.
reeseman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 03:20 PM   #3
NoTyme
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeseman44 View Post
Truck bed liner.
Most likely won't use that. I am really big on Fluid Film. Its pretty well known in these parts. I have a few cans on the shelf and a 24" attachment for the cans and will most likely try and spray in inner parts of the frame.
Had my 2019 Ram truck done several weeks back with Fluid Film. Done a couple myself with spray cans but since I found a shop that does it will have it reapplied next year.

How it works: Fluid Film protects all known metals by creating a non-drying barrier that seals out moisture and air. With the Fluid Film barrier in place, existing rust will be stopped on contact, and new rust and corrosion cannot develop. Fluid Film penetrates to the base metal, remaining active and migrating to inaccessible areas.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:03 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

There are paints, then there's coatings, then there's oils. All will help prevent rust. My recommendation is to paint the frame really good with Rustoleum paint, making sure to prep the metal first. Then use Fluid Film annually to prevent rust from forming. I treat all my vehicles with Fluid Film, and used it on my snow plows and equipment. The negative thing about oils is they attract dirt, so just be prepared to get your hands dirty when working on your cart.

DO NOT SPRAY THAT STUFF ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR BELT AND/OR CLUTCHES!

Undercoating is junk, it usually comes loose and lets salt/moisture in and traps it underneath. The rust forms in between and destroys your frame.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Personally, if it’s a brand new cart I probably wouldn’t worry about it unless you plan to drive it through snowy salted streets on a regular basis or something. It’s not going to see the use like a car that would require extra measures. Just wash it every now and then and I think you’d be perfectly fine. To me, a hose every so often sounds a lot more appealing than getting nasty with the rust proof coating every time you work on the cart.

The TXT’a ive had with rust are always 20+ years old and it’s usually in places that get caked with mud and they never clean them. And by the time I get them they’ve usually been broken for quite some time since they last saw use
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:54 PM   #6
NoTyme
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a couple cans of Fluid Film and 1 extension wand for the cans. I am going to get the cart up on some car ramps and coat the frame next month. My main issue I have is the hitch is poorly designed and I need to find a way to beef it up. I use to be able to stand on my RXV's hitch but not this one. Not useful at all if you have more than 10 pounds of tiung weight.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:26 PM   #7
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The EZGO TXT and Workhorses all have the same basic frame design. In each of them, the worst rust happens at the bend between the footwall and the outside frame rails, which are behind the rocker panels and under the mat and metal pan. You need to get under the rocker panels to get to the frame to get those bends coated properly, as if the cart is going to rust, that is the area that gets the worst of it.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:51 PM   #8
NoTyme
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
The EZGO TXT and Workhorses all have the same basic frame design. In each of them, the worst rust happens at the bend between the footwall and the outside frame rails, which are behind the rocker panels and under the mat and metal pan. You need to get under the rocker panels to get to the frame to get those bends coated properly, as if the cart is going to rust, that is the area that gets the worst of it.
Thanks, I'll try a take some photos when I do this.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:17 PM   #9
CatCam
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

wear a mask -- this stuff does NOT smell good, the smell gets worse before it gets better!
CatCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:11 PM   #10
NoTyme
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

True, had my Ram truck done last October. Took a couple of hand washing to get the mist that settled on the outside of the truck. I see they have Fluid Film in black now. Living in Michigan one needs to do as much as one can to ward off the rust.
Funny thing is I have been reading about the issues with the steel frame carts in Florida. Being retired I am leaning on moving to a warmer climate.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO