lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2022, 08:45 AM   #1
AJoiner
Not Yet Wild

Default DPI charger quit working

I have a DPI accusense charger i use for my EZGO 48v TXT. It is about 10 to 12 years old. It started smoking last week, lucky I was there, and I unplugged it. When I plugged it back in, it wont come on. Is there a fuse or something that could have burned out?

I guess what i am asking is there any simple things I could try to fix it or is it toast and time to buy a new one?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1648993483-picsay.jpg (291.5 KB, 0 views)
AJoiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2022, 08:54 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: DPI charger quit working

If it was smoking it probably is toast but take it apart and see. I don’t think I would trust it
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 09:09 AM   #3
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

You have a circuit board and a transformer in there. If the board is toasted you can get a new one. If the transformer is cooked, [less likely of the two], It won't be cost effective to change out, but,,, the board might be worth a few bucks to someone who wants to repair theirs.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 09:37 AM   #4
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The board cost around $160.00 or so, not cheap.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:31 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That is a DPI Accusense Gen III that most likely goes into float charge after regular charge cycle ends and chargers that float charge are rarer than hens teeth these days due to environmental regulations that originated in the Republik of Kalafornia, so if the transformer is good, replace the board.

There are only two basic parts to the charger, the transformer and PC board. Attached is a block diagram.

Disconnect the PC board from the transformer and check the AC voltage coming out of the transformer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DPI Charger - Block Diagram.JPG (34.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 01:00 PM   #6
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
That is a DPI Accusense Gen III that most likely goes into float charge after regular charge cycle ends and chargers that float charge are rarer than hens teeth these days due to environmental regulations that originated in the Republik of Kalafornia, so if the transformer is good, replace the board.

There are only two basic parts to the charger, the transformer and PC board. Attached is a block diagram.

Disconnect the PC board from the transformer and check the AC voltage coming out of the transformer.
Can you explain how a float charge/er hurts the environment? I for one am at a loss.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 01:30 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Can you explain how a float charge/er hurts the environment? I for one am at a loss.
You'll have to get one the green energy advocates to explain that one, I can't.

Apparently it wastes electricity because it stays on 24/7, but not taken into consideration is the fact it prolongs the lifespan of the batteries, thereby reducing the environmental impact of deep cycle battery manufacturing and recycling. It is true that lead-acid batteries are highly recyclable, but it takes energy to do so. Therefore is bullying charger manufacturers into not building charger with a float charge stage a net gain or a net loss for the environment?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:22 PM   #8
AJoiner
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help guys. I decided to take it apart and here is what I found...

The burning/smoking was from the black(hot) wire coming in to the transformer from the power cord. You can see from the pictures that the wire burned in two.

Question is... can I just reattach this wire or is there an underlying reason it got hot and will it always be a fire hazard going forward?

Forgive my ignorance.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1649031359-picsay.jpg (146.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1649031458-picsay.jpg (104.0 KB, 0 views)
AJoiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:30 AM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Transformer is probably shorted. Time for a new charger
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:45 AM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you can get clean connections, I would try to reattach and see if it works. Chances are that the connection got bad and overheated. Transformer may be fine. They seldom fail.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO