lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2022, 05:26 PM   #11
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: DPI charger quit working

Spade connectors almost always have a poor connection and aren't the best for higher power applications. Clean the end off the transformer and cut away the power cord until you get clean wire. Solder the power wire directly to the transformer. After a charge cycle, unplug the charger from the wall outlet, remove the cover and check if the connection is hot. If it's cool, you are good to go.
cartdoc1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2022, 06:54 PM   #12
AJoiner
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartdoc1969 View Post
Spade connectors almost always have a poor connection and aren't the best for higher power applications. Clean the end off the transformer and cut away the power cord until you get clean wire. Solder the power wire directly to the transformer. After a charge cycle, unplug the charger from the wall outlet, remove the cover and check if the connection is hot. If it's cool, you are good to go.
Thanks Cartdoc.

If the wire is still getting hot is it because the transformer is going out? I have noticed the power cord getting hot when the charger is in full charge mode. Is this normal? Can I put some sort of inline fuse in it to make sure it never gets too hot again?

If so, what amp fuse would I use?

Thanks
AJoiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:08 PM   #13
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Transformers get warm, the higher the load the more heat they can generate. I wouldn't be worried about the transformer heating some unless it's getting hot enough you can't touch it. Transformers fail when the insulating film over the wires in the windings fail and the winding short. From the pictures you posted, I wouldn't worry about the transformer. The repaired connection should not get hot. A poor connection will heat and burn out. If the repaired connection isn't hot I'd say you're good to go. A fuse would not help with a bad connection. It's the heat generated that burns it up, not the amps.

Can you tell what size the wire is on the power cord ? The cord might get warm but should not be hot. I would think that the average charger pulls 12-15 amps from the wall outlet. A good 12 gauge power cord should handle that without issues.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:06 PM   #14
AJoiner
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartdoc1969 View Post
Transformers get warm, the higher the load the more heat they can generate. I wouldn't be worried about the transformer heating some unless it's getting hot enough you can't touch it. Transformers fail when the insulating film over the wires in the windings fail and the winding short. From the pictures you posted, I wouldn't worry about the transformer. The repaired connection should not get hot. A poor connection will heat and burn out. If the repaired connection isn't hot I'd say you're good to go. A fuse would not help with a bad connection. It's the heat generated that burns it up, not the amps.

Can you tell what size the wire is on the power cord ? The cord might get warm but should not be hot. I would think that the average charger pulls 12-15 amps from the wall outlet. A good 12 gauge power cord should handle that without issues.
Thanks again for taking the time reply. I repaired it but it will be a few days til I get back to the farm to test it. I will watch it close the first full charge.
Old 04-05-2022, 02:10 AM   #15
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
You'll have to get one the green energy advocates to explain that one, I can't.

Apparently it wastes electricity because it stays on 24/7, but not taken into consideration is the fact it prolongs the lifespan of the batteries, thereby reducing the environmental impact of deep cycle battery manufacturing and recycling. It is true that lead-acid batteries are highly recyclable, but it takes energy to do so. Therefore is bullying charger manufacturers into not building charger with a float charge stage a net gain or a net loss for the environment?
So true. Too many educated fools out there making decisions for the masses.

I wonder how many people with septic tanks have had to spend countless dollars to have their systems unclogged, because there is not enough water in a flush to move the solid waste. Had to do at my mother's house not long ago because after bathroom remodel the dang commode is a mandated "water saver." Never had a problem with the old one for over 40 years.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:26 AM   #16
AJoiner
Not Yet Wild

Great news, I fixed that fried connection and the charger works again and isn't getting hot. Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-12-2022, 10:54 AM   #17
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have the same charger, (5 yrs old), it quit working... I found a bad factory crimp on that same connector that burned on yours....

I made a correct (permanent) connection, and it has been working great.

Congrats on your repair !!!

Always good to save a few hundred $$
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 05:58 PM   #18
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJoiner View Post
Great news, I fixed that fried connection and the charger works again and isn't getting hot. Thanks for the advice!
Awesome !! Glad you could save it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO